1. Sielas

Sielas New Member

Fantasy novel plot

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Sielas, Feb 11, 2010.

So I have basically my whole plot planned out. In short its about a young man who is an acolyte in a sorcerous sect. The sect gets pulled into a war with a religious order over a chest of old scrolls which both deem very important.

Theres only one problem... And it's very minor. I cannot decide between the sorcerers wearing a crimson robe (with a hood of course) or a black robe. I know it is a minor thing but it's the minor things that are important. So...

Do you think black or dark crimson is cooler for a sorcerous sect? I know black had been done before. (Never read those books though... The Black Magician sereies or something) I'm sure crimson has been done too.

(Might I add the sorcerous sect is in no way evil.)

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

What does it matter what other writers have done with it? It's your story, you choose!

3. Unit7

Unit7 Contributor Contributor

They have both been used.

I would pick which one you think they would look cooler in. A black robe or a crimson robe.

Though you could probably just use both. Depending on the situation. One can be more formal while the other is the one he prefers to use.

4. Norm

Norm New Member

My personal favorite robe if I were a sorcerer would probably be dark blue with gold embroidery.

5. DvnMrtn

DvnMrtn Active Member

Robes are overdone on sorcerers IMO. Although if I had to I'd be a crazy purple / black

6. Anders Backlund

Anders Backlund New Member

...What does this have to do with the plot, exactly? :confused:

Really? You genuinely think anyone is going to care enough that it will have an effect on how your story is recieved?

For crying out loud, it's just a fashion statement. Just pick whichever color you think fits their organization best. Or flip a coin, or something. Anyway, regardless of what you pick there's nothing stopping you from changing your mind later on. Really, ít's not a big deal.

7. Sielas

Sielas New Member

Im not saying that the colour will mave a HUGE impact so calm down. Don't get too ahead of yourself. I'm just saying that little things can make a difference and I feel that this is at least a little important. If you don't you don't.

I know robes are overdone aswell but to give that kind of "Sorcery" feeling I think they fit. No staffs though xD.

I am liking the mad purple idea aswell. hmm...

8. KingAJO

KingAJO New Member

why not use both. you could use the different colours to signify the persons rank in the sect. black could be used for lower level sorcerers and the crimson is given to sorcerers who have proved themselves to be more powerful, or vice versa

9. tcol4417

tcol4417 Member

the colour shouldn't come into the story unless it's important to the story.

As a character trait, the colour weighs heavily on their personality or station. Black is typically worn by people who do not want their identity revealed or people of grim repute (eg. the dark brotherhood in Oblivion, the Black Brothers and the more dangerous Bravosii in the Game of Thrones series). Crimson is typically worn by people who want to be noticed as well as feared - crimson is a fierce, passionate colour that speaks of power and a strong belief system (eg. Lannisters from Game of Thrones, Gryffindor from Harry Potter)

I'd take a look at the aesthetic of the order before choosing a colour - if you have to.

10. Sielas

Sielas New Member

Good point tcol. I think ill go with crimson for upper ranks and black for lower ranks.