1. lilix morgan

lilix morgan Member

Need Some Ears

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by lilix morgan, Mar 17, 2009.

Alright, so the other night while I was skimming a George Carlin book, a certain sentence stood out and caught my eyes.

"I think it would be interesting if old people got anti-Alzheimer's disease where they slowly began to recover other people's lost memories."

Now, while I was laughing at this, thinking it would be amazing if that could happen, a little voice spoke up in the back of my head. I didn't ask questions, I just let them talk now, because I've learned from experience that the voices are my characters blossoming to life. This is what I got from the voice.

"I am a Keeper.
    I don't know how I came to have this gift, and I don't know why.
    But there's a reason for everything, right?"

From there, I usually start to either hear the squabbling of my characters bicker with the newcomers, or flashes of their story begin to play out in my head. Sometimes I even subconsciously move as if I'm playing out the scene they end up showing me.

What I learned from all of this is that this girl is 28, she was in a near-fatal car accident, and lied in a coma for a couple of days. When she awoke, a nurse came in to check her. Upon touching this girl's skin, she received all of the nurses' memories. The shock scared the living daylight of the girl, who didn't understand what or why she had these memories.

The story branched bigger. A corporation, called Capricorn, was involved with the government. They specialized in working, capturing, and brain-washing those with extra abilities like the girl's to work under the government. A new voice, a man named Cailean Ross, spoke up, taking the role of the head of Capricorn.

But to each bad side there is a rogue side, and it wasn't long before the girl was visited by another group of those with gifts, called Oblivion.

So, long story short, this girl had a normal life, normal setting, and was thrown into this new life with her gift. The government is hunting her down, forcing her to abandon her life and move with the rogues of her new 'kind'.

Can anyone give me some opinions or views on this? I've got a lot brewing with this story, and if it sounds well enough, I might start putting some pieces up.

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

A story concept means nothing. I can tell you now, it has been done before. What matters is how you write it, the characterization, the flow, the imagery, all of it.

There's no point to asking what other people think of the concept! They'll either say,"Sounds great," or, "it sounds like a ripoff of..."

If the idea stirs you, write it. Then ask people what they think of the final story. After they tell you what they don't like about it, revise it, usually several times, until you're happy with it or until you throw up your hands and say the hell with it.

Please read this thread about What is Plot Creation and Development?

(and yes, this is a template post, which should give you an idea of how often this comes up.)

So go ahead and write it. It clearly inspired you, so pour that energy into crafting the best story tou can. Until then, you really don't need other people telling you whether they like it or not. The story's the thing, just as a supermodel's skeleton won't tell you anything about whether she will be a hit on the runway.

3. g1ng3rsnap9ed

g1ng3rsnap9ed New Member

Well, I liked the concept. Cogito has a point though, I have had many stories with great concepts end up being utter crap. imo, you should forget about people's opinion of the concept and get to writing the story. :)

4. Rei

Rei Contributor Contributor

A keeper of lost memories? Read The Giver.

5. B-Gas

B-Gas New Member

If the concept is enough to carry an entire story, then go for it. Just... don't tell anyone. If you tell the story to anyone it'll be done, the story will be told, and the muse will become bored playing with it and find something new. Wait until you've written it to share it.

6. lilix morgan

lilix morgan Member

Okay.
    Thanks guys. I was kinda just looking for someone to sound off on, you know, and see if it would sound appealing.
    And I know there is a story called The Giver, I read it in 8th grade. That wasn't my intention.

7. B-Gas

B-Gas New Member

It sounds like a great idea to explore, though. Good luck.