1. FrostyTrollsBBQ

FrostyTrollsBBQ New Member

*Walks in the room* Hello Ye strange folk!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by FrostyTrollsBBQ, Feb 13, 2015.

So I'm currently sat in a tiny village (Population 48) in the Pyrenees mountains with my girlfriend and a random stranger with a towel on her head. I'm a long way from home...

I've always been a day dreamer. I've always been intrigued by 'what is out there' (I'm not talking about aliens here). I support the underdogs. I've had an excellent idea for a book since I was around 18 (7 years ago). I'm eventually going to write this book, but I am going to need both inspiration and help! So that is the main reason why I am here! (On this forum that is, not in Southern France!)

I quit my job three weeks ago after working in the office for 7 years. We decided to leave our comfort zone behind and travel around Europe! So I'm spending my days volunteering and blogging about Space at the moment :). (I don't want to seem like I'm advertising, so please feel free to message me for my URL)

I've also found that I have a lot of free time, so I'm very interested in the co-operative stories that you have on here, they seem really cool :). I used to spend a lot of my time on forums many years ago, so it will be nice to come back to it for a while. I met some great people! (Not literally met, but sometimes it feels like it!).

Well, I really could talk all day... But... The difference between me and people who talk a lot is that I actually listen too. I listen a lot :D (That sounds a bit creepy doesn't it).

See you around here. Lookin' forward to reading some awesome fiction, non-fiction, fantasy, sci-fi and everything in between from you guys.

Peace & Happy writing!

2. Komposten

Komposten Insanitary pile of rotten fruit Contributor

Welcome, FrostyTrolls!

If you take a look over at the New Member Guide you'll see that you did the right thing by not advertising/posting a link to your blog. However, you can put the link in your signature if you wish (a lot of people around here have done just that).

And don't worry about the listening. I believe a lot of people here both listen and watch, always on the lookout for a good story. ;)

3. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

Hi, love the avatar. Welcome.

4. Nicoel

Nicoel Senior Member

Welcome to the forum! I love your avatar and username - very creative. :D I'm sure you'll like it here, it's quite a nice place if I should say so myself.

How's Southern France going for you?

FrostyTrollsBBQ likes this.
  5. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

Hahaha you're funny. I like you already :D:D

So what genre do you write? Hope you hang around and enjoy the forum!

6. FrostyTrollsBBQ

Hello Guys & Girls - thank you for taking the time to read my entry and for the warm welcome!

I shall update my signature accordingly later on ;-)

To Nicoel - Thank you! I usually go by the name SocksForXmas, but I decideed to make a last minute change yesterday... I thought it was time for something new! Southern France is beautiful! It started snowy and very cold but i'm now sat here with the window open and I can hear the birds chirping and feel the warmth of the sun. Wooohooo :)

To Mckk - Hah, I don't try to be funny at all. Honestly. I really don't. .__.
    Well, I have a confession, I... well... there is no easy way to say this but... I haven't really wrote anything yet. I've wrote a plot and a first chapter... but that is all. It's about the Earth in a few hundred years after it had stopped spinning. There is constant light on one side (Where the majority of people now live) and constant darkness on the other. The idea is that around 15 people (most of them released from jail) and twe brothers set off to reach the middle of the dark side... to see what is out there..! woooooo... scary ;). So in short... I would say that it is sci-fi? There may be zombies and aliens, but i've not fully decided yet.

Au revoir - speak soon!

7. Komposten

Komposten Insanitary pile of rotten fruit Contributor

That actually sounds pretty interesting. It even made me look up what would happen if Earth wasn't spinning. Apparently it would, among other things, mean the magnetic field would pretty much disappear which would cause compasses not to work and star navigation or something would have to be used instead. ;)

May I ask why 15 random people/prisoners set out on this presumably dangerous mission? It doesn't sound like something the ordinary man/woman would task themselves with... So, maybe the prisoners are sentenced for life but will be redeemed if they agree to carry out this scientific journey? Anyway, good luck with the writing! :agreed:

8. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

That does sound kinda cool. But yeah, what makes them embark on that journey? It sounds like you have a premise but not quite a plot yet. I would go for something other than zombies and aliens - you have a pretty unusual premise, so I'd try and keep it that way rather than reuse such common, unimaginative tropes like zombies. The why and what they discover would likely govern what you decide to include "on the dark side" though.

9. obsidian_cicatrix

obsidian_cicatrix I ink, therefore I am. Contributor

Great introduction. I second @Mckk, you are quite the comedian. (You had me paying attention by the 'random stranger with a towel on her head' show.) We could do with a bit more of that round here at times.

Personally, I've had about as much of the undead as I can stomach. I do like the idea of what the expedition might uncover on the dark side though... limitless possibilities there.

Hope you have a great time here and get lots of inspiration so you can make a proper start. :D

10. FrostyTrollsBBQ

Great! My idea is met with anticipation - that pleases me :).

The idea of the World stopping it's spin came from a discussion me and a good friend had in a pub one night. It excited my creative sparks and since then the idea of writing a book about it has stuck. However, I'm thinking of possibly changing it slightly to the 15 prisoners and two brothers set out on a journey to discover what lurks in a habitable planet many light years away. Scientifically, the world stopping spinning idea may be scientifically flawed. The idea of choosing prisoners is, as Komposten quite rightly pointed out, that they have life sentences and this is the only way they can redeem their freedom! Also, I believe that this will add a bit of spice into the mix... a bit of backstabbing here... an unlikely hero there...

The ideas of the two brothers is an interesting one... they are... or that is, they were the Worlds elite soldiers.. until they were frozen against their will by a distant government, only to be thawed when they are needed the most. However - there is a big twist too ;).

Yes, I agree that the aliens/zombies add a touch of unoriginality - when really, I could take this book to completely untouched territories! The World is my oyster. I was just slightly inspired by the walking dead a little too much.

Well, anyway - thank you for the comments! I'm glad to see that it is of interest.

Now, I should be building a website for a lovely lady who is letting us stay with her... So, time to get to it! *turns on the lord of the rings soundtrack for inspiration and comfort*

I'll be seeing you around here !
    FrostyTrolls

Nicoel and Komposten like this.
  11. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

Welcome.