1. SlowToShow

SlowToShow Member

Good frequency counter software?

Discussion in 'Writing Software and Hardware' started by SlowToShow, Aug 15, 2019.

I know someone here has to have tried a few of the frequency counter programs. Programs that count the frequency of words and phrases. Which ones have you liked the most, and why?

2. LazyBear

LazyBear Banned

I also haven't found any satisfying tool to use yet, so I might end up making an open source project. The most important thing for me is being able to trust the software in a jungle of malware. Don't like sending unpublished work to third party servers. Don't install anything either because anti-virus is useless against the mutating threats today. I guess that only leaves compiling tools from manually inspected source code.

A basic way to count words would be to tokenize into a list of upper-case words where duplicates are looked up in the dictionary tree and adding to the count. A reference set of books in the genre can then be used for comparison by dividing how many times you used the word compared with their use count. Then just sort your list by the genre normalized occurence. Words that are too modern or should be used rarely would pop up instantly.

3. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

pro writers aid can do that but ive never found it a useful function tbh

4. jim onion

jim onion New Member

Nothing quite like ctrl+f.