1. DBTate

DBTate New Member

Write your life

Discussion in 'Word games' started by DBTate, Aug 30, 2011.

Hey guys, just had an idea for something that might help people with their writing, especially those damned 'day to day' scenes.

Pretty simple, write about something that happened to you today, in the same structure you would for your writing.

I'll start out:

The buzz of my alarm eventually invaded my dreams, and I woke to find that I was late for golf.
    "Shit!" I said as I scrambled out of bed. I checked my phone, not surprised to see my friends had been ringing persistently for the last half hour. I sent a quick text letting them know I was on my way--a blatant lie I often employed when I was late--and ran to the shower to get ready.

I arrived at the course an hour late, and ran from my car to the clubhouse. I scribbled my signature where necessary on a cart hiring form, and headed to the 10th to meet my friends.
    "Tee off was at 9:30," they called as I approached.
    "Sorry guys. I'll make it up to you by trying not to win by too much," I taunted through a small grin. My mouth stretched in a tired yawn, and I excited at the thought of a day of golf.

Who's next? :)

2. art

art Contributor Contributor

I woke at seven. I, of rude health and a denizen of a cosy suburb in a peaceful country, had survived the night!

I made upon the shower. There, the aqueous droplets clung to my pale but comely epidermis and magnified the easy muscularity of my athletic frame.

Stepping from the cubicle, I slipped upon the lubricated vinyl. Prior to getting in the shower I had rubbed Johnsons’ Baby Lotion into the bathroom floor and, to be wholly ingenuous, I wonder now, whether those two actions, the one characterised largely by falling, and the other largely by oiling, were, in any way, linked.

3. VM80

VM80 Contributor Contributor

And now one based entirely on truth. ;)

I woke at six with a heavy heart.

Downstairs, I found a cup of black tea ready for me in the kitchen. Next to it stood a plate of biscuits, fruit... and a letter covered with suspicious red letters.

I unfolded it, and somehow got the immediate impression that this was an outstanding phone bill, and that I would shortly be asked to cover it.

My suspicions were confirmed minutes later. I complained, for a bit (after all, it was 80 fucking quid!). One does not like to be presented with such types of communications, in the early hours, without warning, when still half-asleep.

I left the house at seven and caught the first bus into town. On the train, I leaned back and closed my eyes for a while, as always bearing in mind not
    to get too relaxed, as to completely miss my stop. Experience is a wonderful teacher.

At work, I was pleased to find there were not as many emails as I had feared. I then remembered I had to attend a tele-conference at ten. Once this was over with, I decided to take a breather with a cup of cocoa, and to exchange a few words with some of my acceptable colleagues.

Soon after, I succumbed to the lures of a certain internet forum I have been frequenting of late, although very infrequently...

4. DBTate

DBTate New Member

LOL. :rolleyes:

5. Acidz

Acidz New Member

I'm already awake; as I was busy roaming a road where she said: Don't fear the constant movement of the earth beneath us, at that moment looking down only to notice that we were miles high... I turned and searched my light wasn't found she left me, to be blighted by darkness. A shadow appeared, a misty road leading from darkness, a reddish tomb with voices of suffering filling the mountain passes around me; then I saw Him, approaching me in a swiftly form, a fear full void of immerse darkness; You......

Laying still, I see my ceiling; thinking is this me? I'm here now.. Whats happening to me, why should I question myself?... Turned and looked at my mobile phone; 'It's 7:13? I'm not supposed to be awake until 7:15'; I closed my eyes fell back into that void for a brief moment, only to be resurrected by my alarm... I'm awake now! came up, sitting strait up in my bed thinking is this it am I really losing it? 'It's 7:15 now', 'get up'... 'just get up, its going to be fine today'. And so I got up, dressed myself, and in a deliberate sloth way, moving my body to the bathroom to get my self all cleaned up. 'I wonder how long I should brush my teeth?,... Maybe I should check with mom? wonder how everybody is doing...' I should get my head right these thoughts confuse me... 'Why would you speak to yourself?'. After all that commotion devoted by thoughts, I gathered my things "got my laptop, my extra bag... my keys... damn!, I should get a key holder...". I found myself within my car, confused by the fact that I can't remember if i locked the door? o well... I thought to myself, at least my brother is still there...

After all this I got to work in time weirdly two minutes earlier then before...

6. Acidz

Acidz New Member

""A suffering void, a dreamless scene playing constantly over and over within a matrix created by oneself, to free yourself from this reality... I hoped for a release, vengeance against my mind for leaving me within a desolation of thoughts about life."" Opening my eyes yet again, to see light once more and this absurd looking ceiling, turning my head towards my bedside table I picked up my phone, trying to figure out what the time was as my vision were weirdly blurry for a moment, '7:12' " Why am I awake at this time? " The same question I had the day before... Yet again I closed my eyes just to lay still for another three minutes, going over the things from the previous night; thinking: " Wow, I really buzzed out last night, I was super chilled...? I wonder what happened to the music?, my PC must have gone off by its self... Thats strange even electronics these days think for them selfs... Nice." And the alarm goes off again '7:15' now. Getting up doing exactly the same things as yesterday, although I feel kind-off forgetful this morning... I must have some after effects, HaHa... " thats weird you know!, yes it is". After a while I find myself on the road, on my way to work... noticing that I just missed out 10 minutes or so!, these days things go by so quick I don't even notice the shit anymore... I feel like a dream controlled sheep... Although I differ from the rest in a weird but reasonable way. Today arriving at work 2 minutes later then the day before...

In the parking lot I faced another big decision, should I get out of my car? "what will happen today?." I got out, didn't even spent 5 seconds on my stupid question, I noticed the black bag on my window, moving slowly like an creepy pirate flag, with that horrible plastic rubbing sound; Thinking: "I should really make a plan to fix that window, this is really getting annoying..." So further more I gathered my stuff, locked the car thinking: "What the hell does that even help, haha, breakable windows on a car! what's save about that?" anyway crossing the road I noticed something different today, there was a small plant growing in the middle of a busy road, no idea how it even started its life in a place like that, " The survivor of Newton street 64, hero driven to grow to full, to succeed what the rest failed to be!..." Yea some strange thoughts running wild again. "just cross the road...", upon my entrance, one of the coworkers were outside, sweeping up the leaves that covered the ground, creating a shelter for a bugs life, only to be evicted the next day, wandering on greeting everyone whitest thinking about everything else, I got stuck in a loop asking the manager twice how his doing, noticed it and then tried to cover for the little mistake I made only to find myself deeper in, so I turned and walked away.

My desk its messy today have about three laptops to start with, plenty off small components laying round... And for a moment I thought about my life and I saw myself messed up, but still in control in a way.

7. J.P.Clyde

J.P.Clyde Prince of Melancholy Contributor

Her voice still lingers in my head. I wondered how long it will take me to take this possession outside of my head, this obsession out of my head. She talks to me and I listen. I do not remember what she says, nor do I remember her face. I know she is beautiful because I feel she is beautiful. But what does that even mean in the cold silence of my dreams?

Every time I close my eyes the same dream appears over and over again. All though I consciously say what happens doesn't define me, my subconscious likes to make a liar out of me. I barely remember my dreams the way I barely remember that day. We're driving in a white and barren world. Even my own dreams lack the colors of the world.

Then we tumble and I watch her faceless body disappear. It isn't an accurate portrayal of the situation, my mind likes to play tricks on me. It likes to dangle them over my head like a carrot. Forcing me to continue. Forcing me to move on. While others are ready to move on, I am not. Because I feel things are still missing. I have never been able to recover these pieces of my memory.

And even though I understand and even can label who I am. I do not really know and am not sure if I am who I say I am. And while these questions muddle in my dreams, I wake up the same way I always do. In the bed, in the dark, with a racing and itching mind. A burning kind of racing madness that I am not afraid to share. The sheets stained in sweat.

8. walshy12238

walshy12238 New Member

My heart was beating harder than usual; more than it normally would have in a circumstance like this. It would be over soon though, the nervousness would pass quick enough. Within minutes, I would receive my mark, and then it would all be in the past.

"Conor!" the pretty looking teacher at the front called, holding up a clump of paper that was shoddily stapled together. The person beside me rose from his seat and strode from his desk to the teacher. Taking the paper and glancing down at the front cover, he let out a sigh of relief.
    "12 out of 15, good enough for me," he grinned.
    I showed a weak smile, one that I always used when I didn't know what else to do. As Conor took his place beside me, the teacher resumed calling names and handing out paper. Eventually my name was called, allowing me to stand and make my way to the front. I stopped at the teacher's desk, and reached out to take the paper.
    Before I could, she snapped it away from me. "Do you write short stories, Alex?" she asked.
    I nodded a little. "Yeah, I have since I was 4 years old."
    "Well I guess you deserved top of the class then. Well done," she smiled, handing the pages to me.
    Looking down, I saw a bright red '14/15' on top of the cover. Letting out my breath, I relaxed.
    I don't even know what I was worried about.

9. shybutterfly

shybutterfly New Member

I heard Olivia's breathing quicken and her blanket rustled. She always did this upon waking up. I secretly hoped she would fall back asleep, so I could have a little while to relax with the soft blanket against my skin. Lately it felt like I didn't have enough time to just lay and relax. I wanted to just lay there. Not going anywhere, not worrying about anyone. I wanted to have the luxury to just daydream, my mind floating lightly along.
    My thoughts were soon interrupted when David's hand glides over and I feel an oddly annoying tap on my thigh. It seemed like the smallest things were iritating me recently. "Brooke, can you feed the baby?" I reluctantly pull myself out of the warm blanket and walk over, leaning over my small baby. Sure enough, there she was eyes wide and alert.

10. Marranda

Marranda New Member

Taking advantage of the late football game (of which my husband was thoroughly engrossed), and the silence the house afforded, I quickly change into my pajamas and crawl into bed with my Kindle. It was so rare for me to be able to read in bed without the dogs walking all over me, or my husband stealing the blankets. I relish moments like this! As the blankets around me slowly warm to my presence and I fall further into the spell the story was weaving, the low hum of the baby monitor became background noise.

"Achoo!" This from the baby monitor.

Oh no, I hope the baby's sneeze didn't truly wake him. I lie perfectly still, book momentarily forgetten as I stare at the red glowing light of the monitor, silently willing it to stay one dot, and not rise up to four (indicating the baby waking up). Seconds turned to minutes. I gingerly pick up the Kindle and quickly find my place in the words. Just as the humming monitor becomes background noise again and I find myself back in the world of the story, the red lights zing up to six dots and a loud screech emits.

"Waaahhhh!!! Uh-uh-uh-Waaahhhh!!!" Sniffles and cries, amplified by the set volume on the monitor, nearly make my ears ring. With a gusty sigh, I put the Kindle on the nightstand and shut off the monitor, and finding my slippers, push off the bed. I walk down the stairs to make another bottle and I hear faint sounds of men at play filter through the air vent from the garage. Try as I might, I can't help but feel really angry about the situation. Resentment and frustration boil up from my metaphorical gut.

Work starts at 0700am. Daycare opens at 0630am. My alarm goes off at 0515am. It's currently 1100pm, and though I was using those precious minutes to read instead of sleeping as I should have been, my husband was still full-speed ahead with no signs of stopping to come to bed anytime soon. And I- the one who was the responsible adult and in bed at the time of our son's awakening- was stuck with the task of getting up out of bed to get the bottle and change the diaper. Where was the fairness??

I sigh aloud as the bottle of milk rotates in the microwave, warming it just enough to take the chill out of it. Some days I wish I'd married a woman. At least then there'd be two maternal attentions at work, instead of just me. :rolleyes:

11. Prophetsnake

Prophetsnake New Member

I was dreading the arrival of my brother-in-law and his new bride. The previous two wives had been like th hounds of hell and I had no reason to believe that this would go any better. The phone rang. "They're on the way." Brilliant.
    The first one hadn't been the worst, mind you. They were both young and you could forgive the pair of them for that. The second, on the other hand, had been a clear mistake. If only I had met her before he married her, maybe I could have stopped him. Well, people need to make their own mistakes. Having said that, I wouldn't let him jump in front of a bus if I was able to stop him either.
    Twenty minutes later they were there and i was pleasantly surprised. No.3 was a charmer, a peach of a girl.