1. Tim3232

Tim3232 Active Member

Blogs, Facebook and Twitter

Discussion in 'Marketing' started by Tim3232, Jun 1, 2015.

Someone who was shortlisted in the 2014 CWA DD has won a 3 book deal. Her publisher's site say they aren't interested in submissions from writers unless they are already set up on Facebook, Twitter and have a Blog and use them all regularly.
    Sounds like I'd better pack in writing. I don't think I've ever read a book and then searched for the author's blog, FB account or sought to follow them on Twitter. I have a life outside reading and writing - unfortunately it's not exciting enough to tell people about it on these other media.
    Is everyone else a regular FB, Twitterer and Blogger?

Mckk likes this.
  2. Nicoel

Nicoel Senior Member

I just started a blog inkedechoes.com (I get about 30 visits a day) and I have a twitter @inked_Echoes just so my odds will be better in that exact scenario. My twitter account peaked at 51 followers, then I lost a lot because I didn't follow everyone back. Now I'm at like.. 35? But I'm wary about what to tweet/post. What's considered too personal/unprofessional? Cause I do want to be able to use it as a reference in a scenario like that, but I want to be able to enjoy it.

I do have a facebook page but I don't like Facebook very much - especially because the coding to put the like box and such on my website is such a pain in the arse.

3. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

I wouldn't say I'm all that regular... I'm on Facebook pretty often, but I mostly just use Twitter and my blog when I've got a new release coming out or sign a contract or something. Newsworthy things, I guess.

None of my publishers have been too worked up about social media stuff. I mean, they expect me to do some, but that's AFTER the book's been sold, not before.

4. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Contributor Contributor

That's one publisher. Not all publishers, but a solid online presence can't hurt.

I am on FB (some readers of one of my series established an unofficial fan group). I blog pretty regularly.

You are correct in that such online activities do take time. It's part of the writing life, at least for most authors. Something to factor in. The days of an author simply writing and sending off a manuscript to the editor/publisher through an agent, and then writing more in isolation are largely gone (if they ever existed for the majority of authors--at least in the more modern era).

PiP likes this.
  5. PiP

PiP Contributor Contributor

I have an active blog with over 1300 followers and about 100,000 views a year. I have FB (hate FB) and also a twitter account with about 700 followers. I was so active on SM for a while my Klout score shot up to about 55. I also have a pinterest and google+ . All this hive of activity and I've not even got past the first draft of my book. It's all too much but it's there.

A blogging friend approached a publisher with her book and they wanted proof that she had over 3000 views per month,and that she was active on FB and Twitter before they'd even look at it. They expected her to do most of the marketing which I thought was rather strange. I've not even thought about trying to publish my book as yet but I salute self-published authors who are responsible for everything including cleaning the loos.

Social media is probably a necessary evil in modern publishing.

6. Nicoel

Nicoel Senior Member

May I ask how did you get so many followers/social media success? I'm in the learning stages, and I'd love to get any advice you're offering!

7. BayView

Oh, an important point might be non-fiction vs. fiction. I don't know what the CWA DD is, but if it's for non-fiction, the writer is definitely supposed to have some sort of platform to give authority to the book. Social media isn't the only sort of platform, but it's one possibility.

What's the CWA DD?

8. Tim3232

Tim3232 Active Member

CWA DD is Debut Dagger for fiction.

I got a Twitter account last week as some article said it was good for #ask an agent. Twitter invited me to follow Finesse Windows and 2 people I've never heard of. I declined.

The one agent I've submitted to is on Twitter. I've taken a look and she hasn't posted (is that the right word?) anything of the slightest interest recently. Two amateur writers I know in the US each set up blogs. I've given up looking, the content is so banal.

9. BayView

I don't actually read Twitter much, and most of what I do read is Storified or whatever it's called. The conversations can be fairly interesting, but they're hard to follow if you're just reading your Twitter feed straight.

10. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

I can't help but think though that that sort of attitude from the publishers - you know, the whole "We won't even look at you unless you already have followers and you have to do most of the marketing yourself" - would simply push themselves to extinction. It doesn't make sense. If an author has a large platform of followers and readers and is already successful in self-marketing, what need would there be for the publisher? Sounds lazy of the publisher to me, to be honest - it's like, they don't even produce the content (eg. the book) and the one thing they're good for - marketing and getting you exposure - is now something they are reluctant to do and even expect you to do it yourself - but hey, give us 80% of your profits! Seriously? Sounds a little like they just wanna sit on their arses twiddling their thumbs while the writer does the work and then they take most of the paycheque.

Btw I'm also interested in how you managed to get such an active platform :D I do technically have a FB page and recently I've been getting like 15 new views every week or so and I don't even know why, but I haven't updated the page or posted any new content in months :bigoops: I just don't feel like my life or work is interesting enough to require regular updates lol.

marshipan, jannert, PiP and 2 others like this.
  11. PiP

I agree, Mckk. I think she was crazy. Flipping crazy! but she was a complete novice and just wanted to get her book published. another author I used to correspond with was published by Harper Collins and she has her website, Twitter account etc. and actively promotes her books.

Am I allowed to post some links to some writers blogs I can use as examples?

Mckk likes this.
  12. Komposten

Komposten Insanitary pile of rotten fruit Contributor

Sure, go ahead. :)

PiP likes this.
  13. Tim3232

Tim3232 Active Member

Mckk likes this.
  14. PiP

I've been blogging on and off for five years. I was also active in the blogging community and at one time posted three times a week and spent at least an hour per day leaving encouraging comments on buddies blogs. It was like a community but SO addictive. I also did the same on Twitter.
    Twitter you could use #tags as you know to search for and share. #amwriting #authors #writers etc #zombies #erotica #fanfic or whatever floats your boat. FB I'm crap but one of my polls did go 'sort of' viral and I had over 2000 views (last time I looked) on one blog posts. And no, I'm not sharing my blog because it's woefully neglected and the design outdated. It needs a complete overhaul and I've not got the time. Why? Because I spend too much time on writing forums chatting :)

This website has some brilliant marketing tips. Twitter, blogging etc
    http://www.shoutmeloud.com/

Writers blogs to give you an idea what can be achieved and ideas for content
    https://mjwrightnz.wordpress.com/
    https://davefarmersblog.wordpress.com/
    https://warriorwriters.wordpress.com/

Disclaimer: I'm not an expert so please take what I say with a pinch of salt and paddle your own canoe.

Mckk, GingerCoffee and Nicoel like this.
  15. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

PiP likes this.
  16. PiP

She writes some damn good 'stuff'. Well worth following her on twitter as well. I need a 28 hour day! I'm pleased you found it useful :)

17. GingerCoffee

Definitely useful. I'm planning on starting a different FB page with my book's name instead of mine. The thing I hate about FB is the intrusiveness of them posting my real name everywhere. So I stay logged out as much as I can.

But your information about the blogger community I find most intriguing. I've seen some sources saying that the time one spends blogging doesn't pay off in marketing, but perhaps they were looking at it differently.

18. PiP

Bearing in mind my disclaimer - if you just create a FB page with the title of one book isn't that a little restrictive?

Why not contact the two bloggers I shared the links to and ask them? I'm not saying go leave a comment on one of their posts I mean email them :)

19. GingerCoffee

I might do it under a pseudonym, but first I have to decide how much time to invest and then set that time aside. Otherwise I'll no doubt be one of those zero followers bloggers.

I think it's clear that popular bloggers have a marketing step up. What I found interesting in your comments was that one can become part of the community as opposed to putting your blog out there and hoping your cute kitten Youtube video goes viral to get attention for your blog.

PiP likes this.
  20. PiP

Exactly! You need to 'give' to receive. There are masses of writers' blogs and wordpress even have a daily writing prompt. You tag your posts and then gradually follow other bloggers with the same interests. Don't do mass follows without leaving comments. Gradually build a relationship and it's the same on Twitter.

GingerCoffee likes this.
  21. Ryan M Pelton

Ryan M Pelton New Member

It is not a bad words from them to be active on FB, Twitter and a blog. On their part I think they want to check you fan following whether your write-ups are likeable. And also you may promote your published work along with the publisher's name or link on the socila network. This mean more ready market for them.