1. Rei

Rei Contributor Contributor

College

Discussion in 'Research' started by Rei, Aug 15, 2008.

I'm working on a humorous non-fiction book about college, so as part of my "research," I want to collect everyone's stories.

Did you ever go to class in your pyjamas?
    Did you ever drive to the convenience store that was half a block away, but the parking lot was right outside the rez entrance?
    What were some of the official and unofficial rules of your residence/dorm?
    What silly things did you do to kill time?
    Any bizzare study habits?
    Did you ever have a toga party?
    What sorts of things did you learn, but never expect to?
    Anything that happened that you never would have expected before you got there.
    Anything you can tell me about cleaning or eating when you live on campus.

If you have any funny stories not related to these questions, please say so. This isn't one of those silly quizes you put in your blog. I want funny stories, not a list of answers.

2. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

No

Did you ever drive to the convenience store that was half a block away, but the parking lot was right outside the rez entrance?
    No

Sorry, never lived in a dorm since my house is fairly close by

A lot of my friends and I have a hang out spot where we play computer games on our laptops or we play basketball or frisbee. Otherwise, we just sit there and talk which is fun too.

Not really

No

Some of my professors sometimes go on random tangents and you learn some interesting things once in a while. You also learn a lot about the people you meet which is by far more interesting than the stuff you learn in a classroom.

I never expected to meet any good friends, but I now realize that the friends I met there are some of my best friends now.

Don't live on campus.

3. Ungood

Ungood New Member

those are fun questions, as they either would require you to put my name down as a "contributor" to your work as I would need to write at length what I experienced, or you would have to live though it.

4. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

I just read you edit Rei. Didn't know you wanted funny stories. Unfortunately, I don't have any.

5. Rei

Rei Contributor Contributor

So nobody else ever made scrambled eggs in a toaster oven or played Red Rover in a field on campus where everyone, including professors, could see?

6. PDXSwimmer

PDXSwimmer New Member

Did you ever go to class in your pajamas?
    No, but I know a lot of people that did. I just didn't think it was dignified :p

Can't say I did

When the housefellow (RA) was out of town, all quiet hours were essentially thrown out.

Facebook!

I studied a lot with the Foodnetwork on the TV.

My fraternity had 2 toga parties, the first was much better than the second, which ended disastrously!

That professors are people too, they have hopes and dreams and failed marriages. My English professor was all too telling about his failed marriage and nagging ex-wife.

Too much to recall in one sitting. I never expected to find myself in a great deal of situations I was in. I never expected to stay up all night drinking and watching movies with friends only to go to class the next day. I never expected to join a fraternity. I never expected to go to a bar as a minor. I never expected to pick up a Midwest accent (I quickly put an end to that!) I never expected to watch someone throw a rock through a car window. I never expected to party 5 days straight and still keep my GPA above a 3.8. Trust me, I can go on!

Don't live on campus.
    When you don't have a dishwasher, cleaning cups is the worst thing in the world! Believe it or not, I ate really well my last two years when I had my own kitchen and didn't rely on the dorms. I had a stand-up mixer and a food processor; my kitchen was well stocked with both appliances and food, so needless to say I hosted a lot of delicious dinner parties.

7. rory

rory Active Member

Sorry to resurrect the dead here, but as I've got two and a half years of college under my belt, I couldn't resist answering.
    I go to a fairly well know 'party' college, however, I am NOT a party-er, so I get to sit back and laugh at the drunken antics of the rest of the student body. A lot of these may not be so funny of you didn't know the people involved or all the details of the situation but I'll relate them anyways and some of these are second hand, I wasn't actually there for them, but heard all about it the next morning over breakfast in the caf (trying to avoid food poisoning at the same time, of course).

The local country bar is about three blocks away from the college (I know, who plans this stuff, right?), and so kids would frequently walk to and from the bar, even in January. I guess -30C ain't so cold when you are intoxicated. One night a particularly short guy must have felt he had something to prove, so he climbed the barrier for the railroad crossing. He got to the top, and must have thought himself superman, his friends, not nearly as impressed, kept walking home. So, genius that he was, to catch up he jumped down, a good twenty feet. I'm not sure if it was icy or not, but regardless he broke his leg. What's so funny about this, you may ask? Well, it's funny because he was too drunk to notice much. He complained that it hurt, but carried on home. Nobody realized how serious it was until the next morning when he could not get out of bed. I'm pretty sure that's the worst hangover in the history of colleges. But I'm also pretty sure he learnt his lesson, and so did everyone else. We still laugh about it though.

There were a few sporadic occasion of sleep (or drunk, take your pick) walking in the dorms, often more embarrassing that they should have been due to what was being worn (or not worn).

We would always drive to the closest gas station, at any hour and in any season, to get slurpies, chips, and chocolate. We call it the 'treat store' and it is conveniently kitty corner to the movie store so we get hopped up on junk food and then stay up way to late (usually during finals) watching old Disney movies where the colours are all messed up, because you can rent like twelve Disney movies for about seven dollars.

In our residence there are 'common rooms' at then end of the halls where student can get free wireless internet. We call them sunrooms, because they have a ridiculous amount of windows, and no blinds. I do recall about six of us sitting around a table, all on our laptops, chatting on MSN to each other. It was kinda funny because it was completely silent at those times, just the tapping of our keys and the occasional snicker if someone 'said' something funny.

I learnt the value of locking my dorm room, even if you're just going to dinner, when I returned one time to discover that my room had been completely swapped with the room across the hall. Like I mean everything on out bookshelves, desks, walls, the works. They even switched our mattresses. They stayed away from the drawers, which probably saved the lives of the swappers. You don't go pissing off four girls who all can toss a sixty pound hay bale around no problem and not get some kind of punishment for it. It was pretty funny though, and we sat back and watched as they put everything back, in exactly the right place.
    And we did pay them back. a few months later we sported bandannas and ran through the halls, armed with shaving creme and toothpaste and 'decorated' their room for them (for future pranking, I don't recommend this, it ended up damaging the paint or something. It was still pretty funny though. For us at least). To celebrate, we got an ice creme cake (we celebrate everything with ice creme cake).

There was once when some kids on my floor relocated all the belongings of a friend into one of the sunrooms. They actually did a really good job, sticking up posters and making sure it all looked like a real room. That was really funny, but of course the RAs had to get involved and they ended up dishing out fines, which was not so fun.

I still make toast by setting my oven to broil and putting my bread on the top rack.

Sorry to ramble on, but I've quite enjoyed myself. Those were just some of the good times. I don't live on campus anymore, so clearly it wasn't all sunshine and lollipops. But yeah, college life... it is what it is!

8. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

I also went to a very renowned party college, the University of Florida, Gainesville. But I went as an adult (27) and I lived in a house I bought off campus in the north end of town away from the craziness.

9. 67Kangaroos

67Kangaroos New Member

Yes. All the time. And at my college, no one wore shoes - flip flops were the thing there. i didn't even notice it wasn't the normal thing until someone from the college next door made a comment.

no car for me. took the trolley downtown every once in a while.

Officially, boys couldn't come into the girl's dorms and vice versa - if they did, you had to check them in and everyone had to check out again before midnight.
    also, during mardi gras, anyone who stayed in your room had to pay $70/night. limit:1 extra person per room.

everything i do is silly. during september, my roomies and i opened our door, blasted christmas music, and danced with a life-size cardboard han solo in the hallway. funness :D
    we also had a quote wall (which inspired my sis to do it in her college years) where we put up the best quotes people said in our room that year.

not study habits, but one of the frats would send someone to mostly streak (in underwear and a mask) in the library right as everyone was studying hard on their finals. really helps to have a laugh when you're studying actually. :)

there were some, never went.

eating - like most college students, i lived on pizza, sandwiches, and ramen. very little access to a kitchen and the fact that i can't cook added to my bad eating habits. my sis had a bunch of roomies who loved to cook though, so she always got free meals because they'd cook too much

Had we played red rover on the campus, our professors would have participated :D
    actually, i was never cozy with any of the fathers, but some of my friends got to sit back with their profs drinking leftover wine from mass.

and we got a new statue of st. ignatius when i went there, and ever since then, for every single holiday, he gets dressed up in hats and t-shirts and pumkins and all.

my college was awesome.

ETA: we were more of an artsy crowd. we had a t-shirt officially made, which said "(college name) footbal: Undefeated since 1948" ... because we havent had a football team since then hehe :D

10. Dcoin

Dcoin New Member

There was this dude on my floor who tried to convince every one of his roommates to jump off the library roof because he heard that your roommates get an A if they did.

Not terribly funny, but I can see this creepy character appearing randomly throughout your story.