1. Mike Hill

Mike Hill Natural born citizen of republic of Finland.

Feelings about 11/22/63

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by Mike Hill, May 23, 2014.

I read (actually listened to) Stephen Kings book 11/22/63. I try to avoid any information about the book before I read it, so time traveling came as a surprise. Book was interesting all the way but "mandatory romance" was really clumsy. I have to say that King did a bad job at the sex scenes. Usually King doesn't have to many cliches but this book especially romance had lots of them Other than that very enjoyable. What do you think?

2. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

... are we reading the same Stephen King? The Stephen King I know throws out cliches like a child throwing around confetti.

I've not read the entirety of this book I must admit, I've read some of it and it seemed like it was the better of King's output in recent years. I like King more when he's not pigeon-holing himself as 'horror writer' (and to be fair, so does Stephen King himself), but I can't help shake the cynical suspicion the characters are going to be pretty decently painted but the ending is going to be a load of wank. Most King books are like that to be honest. So I will read 11/22/63, eventually, and I will try and approach it with an open mind, but I'll be very surprised if I'm wrong.

3. stevesh

stevesh Banned Contributor

I thought 11/22/63 was terrific - right up there with King's best work. His take on time travel was fascinating. The sex must not have made much of an impression, since I don't remember it.

4. Mike Hill

Mike Hill Natural born citizen of republic of Finland.

I agree with Lemex, that Kings not so "horror" is his best. I didn't like The Shining but I loved the Stand. Novella The Mist is near perfect, if you haven't you have to check it out. What I love about King is (most of the time) the "not knowing", you might get an ending where everybody dies or almost completly "Hollywood" ending. Also The Stand is very religious meanwhile Mist shows the dark side of religion. In a nut shell King, although popular is out of the box and great personality.
    By the way why all his protagonists are white males:confused:

5. Okon

Okon Contributor Contributor

Then you haven't read Lisey's Story. I recommend it lots!

6. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

The more important question to me is why are most of King's protagonists white, male writers who like a stiff drink. There is 'write what you know' and then there is 'entrapped by what you know'.

The first half is entertaining enough, the second half is among the worst things I've ever read.

7. KirstyJayne

KirstyJayne New Member

I'm pleased I happened to spot this thread. I bought 11/22/63 last week, but I haven't read it yet. I'm glad to have seen opinions from people who have read it, because the people I know 'in real life' who own the book haven't read it yet, either!

I'm relatively new to Stephen King's books (that is, I own quite a lot, but haven't gotten around to reading them yet). So far, though, I think I agree with the people who have said they prefer King when he's not pigeon-holed into horror.

Mike Hill likes this.
  8. animenagai

animenagai Member

I thought it was a fantastic read. It was a page-turner from the start, and the ending really tugged on my heart strings. The only I problem I had with the book is that the final climax, wasn't all that climatic, which I've heard is an ongoing problem with King's writing. Still, there were plenty of sub-climaxes (or whatever the proper term is) that I thought were really well done. The chapters involving the main character dealing with the janitor's history were particularly good.