Tags:
  1. The-Joker

The-Joker Contributor Contributor

a study on angels

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by The-Joker, Sep 12, 2009.

Hello folks.

I'm working on a plot outline for a new novel and the main character is an angel. Although its not set in contemperary earth, I wan't it to have a gritty urban fantasy feel.

So I need some books that feature angels, preferably a protagonist with a darker side. This isn't a sub-genre I've dedicated much reading to, and when I did try to find some books, I came up with a book called Angel's Blood. It almost made me throw up, and I now realise that I should avoid any book that has some blade-wielding woman in tight leather on the cover.

Anyway, anybody has a book in mind that doesn't fall into the above category?

2. cinnim0ngirl

cinnim0ngirl New Member

I haven't read any books on Angels that I can recommend, but there is a movie. It's called Gabriel. It wasn't a huge release and I can't remember where I found it but it was interesting. He was tattooed and basically sent here to kill people because all the other Arch Angels failed. Reminded me of the matrix...biblical matrix lol.

I am also writing one about an Angel. Oh, I haven't read them but I was told they are good, it's a series called Maximum RIde - The Angel Experiment by James Patterson I think. I believe they are young adult but I have only met adults who have read them.

3. Rumpole40k

Rumpole40k Banned

The Remy Chandler series by Thomas Sniegoski would be exactly what you are looking for. The MC is an angel.

4. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Contributor Contributor

The-Joker,

I don't know of any books right off the top of my head, but there is an author I've run across that I recall from listening to an interview who has read and studied up a bit on angels. You might consider contacting her for suggested reading.

Here's a link to her website: Jane Lebak

Beyond that, while this is not necessarily a book 'on angels' this is an excellent novel by Steven Brust that includes many angels and other heavenly figures: To Reign in Hell. It might be interesting background reading, may spur on some ideas, and something you might enjoy quite a bit. It was first published in the mid 1980s and is still in print today, so that probably says something.

Good luck.

Terry

5. arron89

arron89 Banned

You should read The Vintner's Luck for a really interesting original take on angels and other parts of biblical mythology. (Its not at all preachy or Christian-agenda'd, don't panic!)

6. B-Gas

B-Gas New Member

Neverwhere. I can't say anything else about it without ruining some of the magic, but it's a quick read by Neil Gaiman, and it's got one of the coolest angels ever.

Or, if you're going for really grim, gritty writing, you could just use the original angels from judeo-christian mythology- read Revelations. Some of them were humanish, sure, but there were a group of them that were wheels, turning within wheels, forever, with eyes along the edge. The old angel of death- Azazel (or possibly Azariel)- was described as being so large that it would take a man five hundred days to walk around him, and he had a pair of assistants that were only slightly smaller. And there were the original Cherubim, which were basically a cluster of eyes supported by wings.

So, go overboard. Remember, the first thing the angel said to Mary was "Be not afraid." They were terrifying.

7. tcol4417

tcol4417 Member

I always feel kinda "yuck" when people jump into this pool.

You've seen the trailers for Legion? Or maybe you've seen things like Constantine?

An angel MC with a darker side, dear me.

I can't recommend anything of the kind because I haven't read anything worth recommending - ten pages in and I've lost all interest and a little of my will to live.

That being said, Angels have joined Vampires, Werewolves, Demons and a whole slew of other things that you can just make stuff up about and only the hardcore purists will call you out on it.

I mean, just look at things like Supernatural and Twilight. If that's not taking liberties with canon...

8. architectus

architectus Banned

B-Gas you are thinking of Enock or something, because that is not in Revelation.

I can think of a lot of angel movies, but the only book that comes to mind is Neverwhere, already mentioned.

Michael
    Gabriel
    City of Angels
    Constantine
    Dogma
    Angels in the Outfield
    Prophecy (all of them)
    Meet Joe Black (Death)

Oh, I just thought of a great book with angels in it, and one famous angel Memnoch aka Lucifer. Memnoch the Devil by Anne Rice.

Books I haven't read with angels.

Angel With Attitude (Romance)
    Contract With an Angel
    Angels of Fire (Urban Fantasy)