1. Mr Filthy

Mr Filthy New Member

Hero to save the galaxy?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Mr Filthy, Jul 20, 2010.

I have never written a story before but I have been coming up with some ideas for a sci fi novel and so far the only plot i can come up with is for the hero to save the galaxy. Theirs more to it than that but that's the basics. I have been inspired from a little bit of the star wars franchise and some of the game Mass Effect and even a little bit from the Twilight series.

2. Unit7

Unit7 Contributor Contributor

Well why is the Galaxy in Danger? Couldn't it be as simple as having the Hero destroying/stopping whatever is threatening the Galaxy? What kind of obstacles and trouble will your hero go through in order ot save the Galaxy? Will he have to go to several planets across the Galaxy and destroy something? Is it just 1 big bad emperor dude? Is it a Hostile Alien Invasion, forcing your hero to fight superior forces in order to defend the Galaxy? To stop the Alien Invasion: Why are the Aliens attacking? Is it because of some misunderstanding? Did your Society strike first? Or are they just rampaging through the Universe 'cleansing' it?

Who knows maybe some big comic event that has the power to destroy Galaxies and your Hero's job is to safely transport some scientist dude to some Planet because he thinks he can somehow stop it.

But what you need to do is figure out a few things.

Why the Galaxy is in Danger.
    How is your Character supposed to stop it.
    What sort of problems get in his way.

Also.

How exactly does Twilight come into this? o_O

3. Mr Filthy

Mr Filthy New Member

Let start small. What i got from twilight wasnt started in it but its what made me think of writing about it. I like the idea of one of my main characters turning into an animal at will but instead of a werewolf I went with a Werebear a polar bear to be exact. Now to answer the other questions is actually going to take some thinking because I haven't thought of those yet but I will reply when I get home from work

4. BlueWolf

BlueWolf Banned

I think the more important question is, why he is a hero? Purposeful or accidental? It can make all the difference and can change your story dramatically.

5. Mr Filthy

Mr Filthy New Member

also from Twilight I like the love story part of it

6. Unit7

Unit7 Contributor Contributor

Its not necessarily to answer them to me or anyone but yourself. Its something you have to answer for yourself. As the writer you need to come up with the story and the plot and the characters. Its something only you can.

7. Fantasy of You

Fantasy of You Banned

Mr Filthy, this thread made my day! Thank you for posting.

7, you crack me up, too!

Mix your ideas up. Have a vampire save the galaxy from the Jedi. Twist: the vampire is in love with the leader of the Jedis, who wants to become a vampire because the [villain of Mass Effect 2, whoever it maybe] kills the Jedi before they master polar-bear-transfiguration.

In all seriousness, you need to flesh your idea out. A hero saving the galaxy is... somewhat vague.

8. Mr Filthy

Mr Filthy New Member

no I'm glad you asked them because those were questions I haven't thought of yet, I guess I need to question myself a little more. I have kinda written a story line but I haven't gone to far

9. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

A story concept means nothing. I can tell you now, it has all been done before. What matters is how you write it, the characterization, the flow, the imagery, all of it.

There's no benefit in asking what other people think of the concept! They'll either say,"Sounds great," or, "it sounds like a ripoff of..."

If the idea stirs you, write it. Then ask people what they think of the final story. After they tell you what they don't like about it, revise it, usually several times, until you're happy with it or until you throw up your hands and say the hell with it.

Please read this thread about What is Plot Creation and Development?

10. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

that's not a plot... read cog's linked material for why...

11. Sang Hee

Sang Hee New Member

I still don't understand the purpose of this thread. Are you actually asking if it's a good idea to write something like that or how to write it in an interesting way? I'm quite confused.

12. Shinn

Shinn Banned

To be perfectly honest, only you know the answer to those questions and you will need to figure it out by yourself mate.

13. Karl C. Lewis

Karl C. Lewis New Member

I HIGHLY concur with you! Try this, develop your story around the things that have happened in your life.

14. Aeschylus

Aeschylus Member

You expect us to be able to tell you anything about your "plot" when all you tell us is that it's a hero saving the galaxy? That's like saying, "My story has someone who dies," and expecting us to give you real advice. You need to actually think of a plot before you can ask people about it.

And you said that it's "all you could come up with?" You've decided to write a story and you choose the first topic you could come up with? That shows that you're uninspired and unmotivated, not to mention that you have no idea what kind of story you're writing.

15. NyMichael20

NyMichael20 New Member

The plot is WAY too generic in its current state. You need to sit down with a pen and paper and really hammer out details. Plot, characters, etc. I understand you don't want to give too much away, but you of all people need to know your story.

No matter what, write it. Even if you don't think it is worth writing, it's always good practice.

16. Just don't do the "one" thing where he has to fulfill some prophecy, also don't have people telling him "its your destiny" or "you alone can save the galaxy". Damn that annoys me. Why is he the only one? huh?

Have the hero be just your regular whoever (even if he's more skillfully equipped for the task) and be sucked into it all.

No one knows he is the hero until he's forced to be a hero. It's just a whole lot more real.