1. Chromewriter

Chromewriter Contributor Contributor

Analysis of Full Metal Alchemist (Anime)

Discussion in 'Collaboration' started by Chromewriter, Nov 2, 2021.

Hi,
    I just want to start on a pet project while I'm not fiddling with my W.I.P.

The premise is how FMA 2003 is better than FMA: B in so many metrics that the comparison does a disservice to FMA. If you feel like you jive with this statement, or just have tips about how to make a video analysis and editing and other pitfalls with working with copyrighted material, I'd like your help.

I have no idea about the technicals, but I feel like I have a pretty strong case to make that I don't think it's been fully argued properly- at least I haven't encountered it yet.

But yea, a bit of fun if anyone wants to join. :)

Last edited: Nov 2, 2021
  2. J.T. Woody

J.T. Woody Book Witch Contributor

I think im unclear on the statement.

Is it that they are good in different ways that a comparison of the two does the series a disservice

Or

2003 is better than Brotherhood, and Brotherhood does a disservice to the series

3. Chromewriter

Sorry! FMA is usually the moniker for the 2003 version and the newer version is called Brotherhood or FMA:B. At least when the comparisons are being made. I could definitely make that more clear though.

So what I'm trying to say is that FMA is soooo much better than FMA:B that the comparison between the two is just bringing down the original version. It's an insult! :p

Bit hyperbolic in all honesty though haha.

4. J.T. Woody

Ah.
    I do not jive with this statement :)

But as to your original post.... Watching the analysis videos and reviews, to me it just seems like writing an essay, and then doing a fancy "powerpoint"

If you are posting to youtube, you have to look at their copyright, but video makers like screenmonkey (gotta double check that... I use it for work. Its free. But i keep forgetting the name), imovie (macbooks), and even youtube itself have pretty user friendly systems.

Chromewriter likes this.
  5. Chromewriter

Sucks!

But in that case can I show you the finished work at the end? The point of the video would be to convince nay sayers and maybe you can help me sharpen my arguments! :p

6. J.T. Woody

Sure

Chromewriter likes this.
  7. Chromewriter

On that note, why did you like fma:b more? I don't need a dissertation, but just a quick comparison. :)

8. J.T. Woody

I like them both equally and for diff reasons.
    FMA was a whole lot darker and emotional. It was also one of the first anime series i'd watched. My brother, cousin, and i would save up our allowances and buy the DVDs and stay up all night watching them on the weekends all through elementary and middle school. The premise was dark, the humonculli were terrifying, there was a bleakness to it that fit perfectly with the "emo" phase of the time.
    Its nostalgic to me.

Brotherhood i binged watched twice 2 years ago. I like how the series expanded on characters (ex. Armstrong's badass sister... And Envy... They developed Envy so well, that i was close to tears when they died), the world (Xing, Drachma, the desert), and alchemy in general. The ending was more satisfying.
    I was disappointed, though, how it downplayed Izumi's role. She seemed to have a bigger part in the first one. But it made up for it with characters like the addition of the new Greed... How he and Ling became like a Venom-esque character.

In short:
    FMA= dark, nostalgic, emotional
    Brotherhood= well rounded/expansive, satisfying ending

Last edited: Nov 4, 2021
  9. Isoul

Isoul Member

I think there may be some misinformation here.

They are two completely different shows.

FMAB is the storyline true to what the creator Hiromu Arakawa wrote.

FMA is a storyline created from the collaborative efforts of the animation studio that ran out of content from Arakawa, so they just continued their own way. (Arakawa basically told them to do whatever they want).

Personally, I like FMAB more. Arakawa shaped the concepts of the story from her life on a farm and I'm more interested in her raw perspective. If they had both been written by Arakawa that would change things for me.