1. ENJOY

ENJOY Member

GENRE: Westen. What do you like, read or hate about it

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by ENJOY, Oct 17, 2011.

I will do mine as a example:
    I love the westen genre. A lot of the books in this genre are wrote simply, childishly some may say. Yet I see this as a good thing. Reading books in this genre transports me back to days of old. Some particular favourites of mine are: Stirrup High by Walt Coburn= A true story from the author youth of a short 14yr old boy on his first roundup; More famously the other True Grit by Charles Portis= A true classic of a girl set out to avenge her fathers murder.

WHAT DO YOU THINK?

2. PoorYorick

PoorYorick New Member

I'm not sure if either of these qualify as "western" (they might be more accurately deemed "historical fiction") but Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy about the Glanton gang's exploits in the southwest of the US in the 1800's was pretty amazing. I also liked "The Assassination of Jesse James" by Robert Hansen. Again, they're fictional takes on real people/events but I think both could certainly be at least linked to the western genre if not categorized as such.

3. muscle979

muscle979 Member

I love western movies but I haven't read much in the western genre. Lonesome Dove is a masterpiece.

4. soital

soital New Member

Personally I have never read one, so I abstain until that point. It sounds interesting tho, but i dont know if its for me