1. themightyduck

themightyduck New Member

Warnings

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by themightyduck, Apr 15, 2009.

This is a suggestion. I think that if a story contains some bad language there should always be a warning at the beginning or in the title. What does everyone else think?

2. burned_out

burned_out New Member

Mostly, there are for the serious language. I haven't seen a story yet without one.

Cheers.

3. themightyduck

themightyduck New Member

Usually its been the same with me, but there was a link to a story that had some serious language. Is this because the story was outside of the site?

4. lordofhats

lordofhats New Member

Actually I think the site has a filter that blocks certain words and replaces everything with *s.

Yep. Definitely blocks it :p. I suppose you can put in the warning anyway but honestly I don't really see the point. Published novel's don't have a "Warning, harsh language" notice on their covers. Then there's the pain enforcing such a rule would be on the mods who already have lots of work. If anything were done about adding content warnings I think we could do little more than have it as a guideline.

5. lynneandlynn

lynneandlynn New Member

I think that if something is an outside link, then the person posting it should at least say that it contains harder language...after all, there are younger people on this site that shouldn't have to read that..

And honestly, I don't like fiction of any sort with harsh language (well, cuss words) because I feel you just detract from the story if you can't get the same point across without cussing at the readers.

6. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

We don't allow links for items under review. All other linked pages must follow the site content rules as if posted directly.

7. themightyduck

themightyduck New Member

The problem with the filter is that for people like myself that don't swear won't put in those specific words into the filter. Is there any way around this?

8. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Huh?

The filter is part of the site software, and it filters a very small set of words. There is no user-defined filtering, if that is what you are asking.

Words that are not filtered are not automatically acceptable. The site content rules take precedence regardless of the operation of the filter.

It is courteous (at least!) to label writing that contains material that could be inappropriate for some members of the to indicate that in the heading. The presence or absence of such a warning will be taken into account if a moderator has to decide whether a piece of writing is acceptable; an unwarned piece will be more strictly judged. So it is to the writer's advantage to put up a warning if one is appropriate. If nothing else, it demonstrates responsibility.

Some people complain that every nuance of policy is not spelled out in the rules. One reason is that it is a huge pain to try to cover every single possible case. But tye larger reason is that precisely defined limits invites a certain type of person who attempts to "walk the razor's edge", to see exactly what he or she can get away with without getting kicked off the site. We do not need that kind of member, and believe me when I say that the site moderators do know how to recognize them and deal with them.

The overall goal is to make this a place where writers can meet and develop their craft in an inoffensive environment/ We try to strike a balance between creative freedom and subjecting members to offensive content. This does require some restraint on the part of the members. They can write whatever they wish, but what they share on this particular site imust fall within certain guidelines for the sake of the entire community. Hopefully, working within those constraints is not be too onerous a burden. Most workplaces have far more restrictive rules, and the penalties for crossing their lines are much more severe.

9. themightyduck

themightyduck New Member

Thanks for your time and making things more clear for me.