1. SoulGalaxyWolf

SoulGalaxyWolf Active Member

Is this overused?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by SoulGalaxyWolf, Dec 26, 2016.

I'm currently writing a novel that is based around a girl traveling trough different worlds to try to save her family. She then finds herself run into a bear(not really, but atm it's a bear in my mind) and that's about what I have so far.
    Later on in the story, I'm thinking of having people that my MC meets along the way try to stop her from all the dangerous things she's willing to do for her family (mostly the boy that she meets first). As well as having the MC think that something terrible happened to her "companions" and blames herself. There are other obstacles like difficult side characters, getting lost and silly detours.
    I'm wondering if this would be intriguing to read about or does it sound like a formula for basically any fantasy story?

2. MusingWordsmith

MusingWordsmith Shenanigan Master Contributor

Disclaimer: I think anything can be interesting if executed well. So, I say go for it and just try to make it a good and interesting story.

jannert and SoulGalaxyWolf like this.
  3. -NM-

-NM- Active Member

Really depends on how you write it and all the details of the story we don't know. For example: Saving her family from what? What happened to them? Where are they? What does she need to do in order to save them? How can she do this? What obstacles will she face? etc...

The general idea sounds fine, but it really will depend on how you flesh the story out around it.

SoulGalaxyWolf likes this.
  4. Olle1087

Olle1087 New Member

Sounds really fun actually. I could see it being a mix of fantasy and science fiction which would be really interesting. You'd also have a well-established, and vivid theme which is also a good indicator of success.

If there's one thing I want to point out, it is to refrain from the obstacles occuring randomly - that figuratively, they are not really obstacles but are factors that will drive the character to grow as a person. And the way in which you depict the growth of the character should, in turn, reflect the central theme of the story. For instance, what does the MC learn from encountering and confronting the bear? How does that contribute to your character's growth? How will this event affect the character arc in relation to where you want him/her to end up in the end of the story? These are the questions you want to ask when you write. I think the premise is great, now you just need to flesh out the plot with the character arc in mind!

Good luck!

5. SoulGalaxyWolf

SoulGalaxyWolf Active Member

Yep, that's true :p I'm going to brainstorm on how to do the execution right and make it very interesting and entertaining. Ty for commenting! :3

Good questions :3 I basically have these answers already just not very detailed. I think about the details more though. Except the last two, it's not really all that detailed. I'll think about more on what occurs later on in the story and all that jazz. ty for commenting! :)

I never thought about the obstacles really. I'm glad you pointed it out to me! I'll be sure to think about that. Ty for commenting!:rolleyes:

Olle1087 and jannert like this.
  6. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

Work hard on developing the personalities of your characters. This is what will make your story stand out.

Obviously you need to come up with a plot that works and doesn't contain holes, but don't make the mistake of concentrating on the plot and simply sticking characters in there who move the plot along. That makes for very dull reading.

Instead, make your characters come to life in your own head, before you even start. Get a feel for what these people are like. Realise that not everybody would do what YOUR characters do. That's the key. Let your characters' personalities drive the plot, to a certain extent. Don't think: What would a person do in this situation? Instead, think: What would my character do in this situation, given the kind of person she is?

Last edited: Dec 27, 2016
  7. MoWrit

MoWrit Member

Seems original. Plot is kind of hard to understand and all over the place but just like @MusingWordsmith pointed out, any story could be good if executed right.

But if the readers do manage to figure out the plot, I see an amazing story that will make your novel a must read ;) (I'm not a fortune teller though)