Tags:
  1. Morningriser

Morningriser Member

There's No Need To Fear, This Guy Is Here!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Morningriser, Oct 31, 2019.

Hello! I am Darren. I have recently become motivated to put my crazy life into words. I signed up because despite being a writer ever since I could pick up a pencil and spell words, I am tired of the usual social media crowds and wanted to go somewhere a little more open minded, and hopefully sophisticated, than Facebook.

Have you ever had one of those days where you realize you have wasted so much time wanting to write, rather than actually just writing? Then, with that realization made, wrote 5k words in a day all out of nowhere? I did today, and I have decided to write my autobio in sections that way if I get tired of working on one section, I can go work on another and then once each is complete, put them together and do the final edits. That still won't be for quite a while though. I would like to post what I wrote today, errors and all because I am curious how well my first 5k in a day in 8 years might tickle your fancies. I know I am new, but would that be okay?

jannert likes this.
  2. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    Hi Darren, welcome to the forum! I'm one of the mods here, and I hate to start on a downer, but unfortunately you won't be able to post for critique until you've achieved regular member status. That comes after two weeks, twenty posts, and at least two critiques offered to other members in The Writing Workshop. This is a requirement we've put in place to make sure that there's plenty of give and take on the forum, not just people swooping in for critique and then flapping off into the ether.

However, I'd like to thank you sincerely for asking; many new members don't, and then we have to steer them back onto the right track, membership-wise. The rules here aren't very tricky, but make sure you check them and some of our other tips out at New Member Quick Start and Forum Rules.

So settle in, get to meet some people, and feel free to jump into anything that looks interesting. Then get to the Workshop, put in a couple critiques, and before you know it you'll be a regular member ready to get the opinions of the other members on your work. Remember that the "two for one" rule of critiques is ongoing, of course, but once you get into the groove, that's not a difficult standard to maintain at all.

If you have any questions, feel free to contact me or one of my fellow active mods (currently jannert and big soft moose.)

Regards

-Iain

jannert likes this.
  3. Some Guy

Some Guy Manguage Langler Supporter Contributor

Welcome, Darren!

My name says it all. I'm just Some Guy who got a notion to write a few pages and be done. A hundred fifty pages later I went, "oh shit! I actually wrote all this!" I jumped on WF to show everybody (even paid the Supporter buy-in), and I still regret not waiting the two weeks. I spun my wheels for a couple months before I realized I needed to know at least something about the great folks here before I could even truly understand how critique was supposed to help me.
    Warm yourself by the fire and get comfy with all the places and comings and goings, and discover who people are. And definitely dive into and get involved in any thread that catches your interest. You can reply to lots of threads right away and do a critique, too! :D They collect, so start getting a few in for your part. Start a Progress Journal and Blog (Mods: when is that allowed?). Find the Who Are You And What Do You Write thread above this one and add a line or two. We'd love to know about you. Don't forget to fill in your profile info! :)
    See you around the forums :)

jannert likes this.
  4. Rockatansky

Rockatansky Banned

Hi Darren,

I'm also new arrival! Thought I would say hi to some fellow newbies

5. dbesim

dbesim Moderator Staff Supporter Contributor

Hi @Morningriser. Welcome.

I mean, it would be great to read your work when you do eventually get to post it.

5,000 words in a day out of nowhere just goes to show that you can do it when you set your mind on it. Hopefully it won’t be too much of a challenge to keep this pattern continuous ;)

Hope you enjoy the WF.