Tags:
  1. Alex R. Encomienda

Alex R. Encomienda Contributor Contributor

Does this type of poem even exist?

Discussion in 'The Craft of Writing Poetry' started by Alex R. Encomienda, Jan 21, 2016.

I've been very fond of poetry all my life and since listening to progressive music where the song switches from 6/8 to 4/4 to 12/4 time signatures it made me think of prose poems and sonnets.

I did something very strange the other day, and you can call it silly because I never heard anyone do anything like it,

But I wrote an epic poem with three parts telling a story from three POV's with the first part being in ballade, the second being in a terza rima and the third part being a sonnet.

Is this odd? Excuse my ignorance of the matter because I've taken poetry classes and I never heard of this creation before?

But in writing, why make rules? Why not get creative, right?

2. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

It's uncommon but not unheard of. While I can't think of any specific examples at the moment, I do remember coming across longer poems that are broken up into multiple parts, and each part is written in a distinct style/form.

Alex R. Encomienda likes this.
  3. Alex R. Encomienda

Alex R. Encomienda Contributor Contributor

Hmm.. What would you say to this kind of poetry style?

4. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

It's interesting, but the style itself isn't going to make or break the poem. That depends entirely on the skill of the writer.

5. Jeff Countryman

Jeff Countryman Living the dream

I don't know music's 6/8, 4/4, 12/4. Nor do I know the three types of poems you spoke of. But I know this: Mixing and matching works; and results in an original (epic?) when your own talent is applied.

We can all learn science. We can all learn applied science. When we add our own talent to the learned and applied, it becomes something new; a discovery that is, perhaps, epic! :)

So yes, pursue it.

Thanks for the post - it voiced something in my own mind/writing that I should do, just like you.

Cheers,
    Jeff

Alex R. Encomienda likes this.
  6. Wolfmaster1234

Wolfmaster1234 Member

Well if you were a poet in the 1800's it wouldn't be very popular but nowaday contemporary poetry differs a lot, the structure is no longer important and the focus is on the story of told or the meaning conveyed. I haven't heard of a poem like this before but I don't see why it shouldn't work.