1. Lisobel

Lisobel New Member

Struggling with resolution

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Lisobel, Feb 16, 2017.

I'm writing a short 5 page script in which an employee has a disagreement with his boss, proceeds to somehow accidentally post about on the internet/email him, and have this result in something. If this results in the employees firing, how do i put a positive spin on it? Or what other alternative endings could there be?

Out of depth 1st year student who would really appreciate any help!

2. Awz

Awz Member

Would depend on the disagreement. I'm friends with my boss on Facebook, as I am with most of the people I manage. I'm pretty good about keeping work/home separate with this, as is my boss. I think the only time when it would come to being fired is if the person were attacking the company itself on social media or a personal attack against me or another employee. If they just post about the encounter without specifics, I'll probably let is slid and ignore it. Firing is rarely a positive experience. I have no idea how to put a positive spin on, "you just lost your income, which will likely result in you loosing your car and your house. All because you had to go on Facebook and badmouth the company." If it's an internal email complaining about the encounter, it'd be a case by case but probably wouldn't result in the person being fired.

I hope I'm clear and understanding your question correctly.

3. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

Somebody else on FB notices the post and offers your MC a better paying job trashing other companies on FB.

4. KellyA

KellyA New Member

This disagreement could be (example) you are asked to drive a piece of machinery in a warehouse that had been reported defective/unsafe/dangerous after doing your own checks.
    You refuse to drive it following health and safety regulations. However, your boss has the final say in his position and forces you to drive it as he has targets to hit. Losing that truck will cause him problems when his figures are down.
    Later that night, angry that you had been forced to do something that was against H&S policy, you vented on a social networking site (Oops) Bonus is you did not mention the company name or even his.
    "Can't believe my Boss made me drive a defective truck today that had dodgy breaks. I nearly killed one of my co-workers!"
    You had forgotten that one year ago you added the H&S Site Manager after making friends with him when you were on a one week course. He was a fun guy that was down to earth during class time, you bonded well enough to want to add him as a friend.
    Guess what, he is online and sees your post but doesn't comment remaining professional.
    Next day he purposely visits the site first thing and comes to find you, "Who made you drive that truck?"
    You explained what your boss had forced you to do breaking H&S rules, a boss that should know better in his position.
    Boss denies it, but you had several witnesses that heard the conversation along with camera evidence where you approached him.
    Your Boss is now in trouble with his big boss (much scarier), after trusted Mr H&S Site Manager brings the matter to his attention.
    Your vigilance is rewarded by being asked to be a H&S team rep for the machinery at your site, now gaining you respect and power (H&S power always rules in the workplace)
    Mr Boss man is now on a warning (his ego has seriously been dented) time for him to keep a low profile

Best I have at this time of night I'm afraid, hope you can pull some kind of scenario/plot from the example I have written.

Good Luck! :)

5. Lisobel

Lisobel New Member

Thanks for all your responses!! They really helped me figure out a new plot and resolution!

KellyA likes this.