1. Bakkerbaard

Bakkerbaard Contributor Contributor

Pet names

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by Bakkerbaard, Nov 22, 2022.

I'm doing a short story spin-off of my main book to give away for free for promotion.
    Now I'm trying to hide a character in there, who's named Helen in the big book, and I'm trying to find out the best pet name for a woman called Helen.
    I already snuck in a specific trait, but I want one more hint and I figure the name might do the trick. Kinda that "oh yeah!" moment when you put 2 and 2 together.

If it helps:
    Helen is in her forties, lives in late 16th century Scotland, and she's the owner of a flower shop. This time.

Personally, I'm thinking of going with Lennie/Lenny, but I'm not sold on it yet, so I'm open to better suggestions.

2. Hammer

Hammer Moderator Staff Supporter Contributor

I have a friend called Helen who - as I suspect many Helens are - is known as Hels Bels, sometimes just Hels, sometimes just Bels which might work for your character? Bels would be a cognitive step away.

3. Rad Scribbler

Rad Scribbler Faber est suae quisque fortunae Contributor

Bakkerbaard likes this.
  4. Bakkerbaard

Bakkerbaard Contributor Contributor

I've been through a list of pet names for Helen, and this was indeed one of them. But considering the story revolves around a man making a deal with the Devil, I'm gonna avoid confusion in the Hel(l) area. ;o)

Oh, right. I forgot to check the Gaelic names.
    I guess we have a winner.
    That I could and should have just figured out myself.

My apologies for bothering you.