1. MarcT

MarcT Active Member

Hello from Buenos Aires!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by MarcT, Aug 16, 2016.

I'm British and live in Buenos Aires, Argentina, where I write and build computer systems.
    When I'm doing neither of these, I'm usually riding my motorbike around the endless plains of this enormous country.
    Writing has always been a major part of my life from short stories and soppy poems when I was younger and later, newsletters to my family and friends during my travels around the world.
    More recently I've been writing how-to articles in a tech blog, which I've been doing for a couple of years, but they have morphed into social commentary now, with a little satire thrown in for a more interesting flavour.
    The last major project I finished and self published was back in 2007, which was an autobiographical account at how I arrived in Argentina from England via Spain. One could describe it as a love story with an adventure strapped on, or perhaps the other way round, depending on one's point of view. It's called Ten to Seven by the way.
    Anyway, as of now and following three or four semi-abandoned writing projects (one of which I've been able to splice into my current project) I'm writing the story of an unusual South American president who isn't all that he seems, whilst drawing heavily from the colourful and dramatic political scene, here in Argentina.
    The more I write the book, the more I feel that I'm writing parody; the entire project is simply growing organically and I can feel myself veering off into parody or perhaps even satire at times, which I've come to realise, is probably my preferred style.
    Yes, this is a long introduction, which I hope conveys something about me and I'm looking forward to contributing something, at the very least to this community, if I possibly can.
    Cheers!

Freethesea likes this.
  2. I.A. By the Barn

I.A. By the Barn A very lost time traveller Contributor

Hya! You're very busy, sorting out computers and writing articles and now a novel, I try satire but it usually falls flat. See you around!

MarcT likes this.
  3. MarcT

MarcT Active Member

I kind of slip into it subconsciously I.A. and try not to think about it too much.
    It doesn't always work for me though as can depend on the subject.

4. matwoolf

matwoolf Banned Contributor

Sounds good to me, Marc. Get back on the [pen] saddle, publish a few of your shorts. Parody, a wonderful roller-coaster, written pretty. All best from Airstrip 1.

MarcT likes this.
  5. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

Hi, @Marc Thomas, and welcome to the forum! Please read our New Member Quick Start - it'll get you going around here. Participate and have fun!

:)

MarcT likes this.
  6. Lyrical

Lyrical Frumious Bandersnatch

Hi Marc! I love Argentina! I lived in Córdoba for a year and a half - the best time of my life. I lived in Cordoba Capital for a while and then out in the Sierras, in La Falda and Carlos Paz. Amazing place, amazing people. You're spot on about the very colorful political climate. I'd be interested to read what you're working on. Welcome to the forums!

MarcT likes this.
  7. MarcT

MarcT Active Member

I was in Cordoba in March actually, on a bike trip and yes, the Argentines are muy simpatico!
    Many thanks for your kind welcome Lyrical.

8. platerawriter

platerawriter Banned

Hi Marc! Welcome to the forum! I hope you enjoy yourself here. There are a lot of great people here. :)

MarcT likes this.
  9. Freethesea

Freethesea Member

Hi Marc and welcome to the forum. I traveled through Patagonia March-April and hit most of the hot spots. What an amazing untouched wilderness! We saved a sheep from the mud, counted guanacos until the number hit higher than my level of education, went fly fishing, overloaded on hiking and glacier trekking, and finally ended up in your very amazing city of Portenos.

Of course the first thing we did was make plans to return!

There are butt loads of good information on this site as well as plenty of people who are quite clever and graciously helpful. You'll find what you need to keep those writing projects fruitful. Enjoy!

MarcT likes this.
  10. MarcT

MarcT Active Member

Thanks Freethesea, it is indeed an enchanting country, especially when you get away from the cities.
    I now plan to motorbike south and then west over to the Andes next and see where that takes me.

Freethesea likes this.
  11. Freethesea

Freethesea Member

It would be great if you could keep a travel blog on all your SA extended excursions. Do's, don'ts, all the special stops, spots, hideaways, eateries, photo op vistas, not to mention your experiences on while motorbiking on the open roads. There's so much information on the area of Patagonia that's sponsored, its hard to find unbiased perspectives.

I just finished my first novel (after many years of shoving writing to the side) and it's set in the Andes and upper Amazon basin. Nothing boring about either of these regions so I hope you enjoy them!

12. MarcT

MarcT Active Member

Well done on your first novel and good luck with it. I'm curious to know what it's about, especially when it's set in the Andes.
    As I mentioned in my original post, my current project is veering inextricably towards parody, which I don't really mind as it opens up new avenues, particularly as it's set in a fictitious SA country.
    As I write it, I try not to think about Woody Allen's Bananas too much though.

Freethesea likes this.
  13. Freethesea

Freethesea Member

I had to give the give the 'Argentina insider' push for unbiased travel tips a try.

Your current work sounds curiously interesting as well and who doesn't love humor, parody, or especially, satire? I certainly do.

I'll check out your Ten to Seven.

If my manuscript every makes it to print, or even public, I'll be sure to let you know. Happy riding and writing!

MarcT likes this.