1. architectus

architectus Banned

Agatha Christie: And Then There Were None Review

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by architectus, Sep 7, 2008.

I want to read some books out side my niches. One of those is mystery. I figured I should start with the best, and mystery lovers claim Agatha Christie is the best. I must say I was disappointed.

Perhaps I should try a modern mystery writer before I give up on the genre.

On with the review . . .

The first six chapters were really boring. I hope not all mysteries start out this slow. The first six chapters were used to explore the main ten characters. The problem is they were doing nothing exciting. They were boarding a train, or getting in their car, or some other every day thing to get to Easter Island. This would have been fine if their thoughts were more interesting. Instead they are thinking about every day things. It felt more like an info dump so we would understand more about Easter Island. I believe the first six chapters could have been done much better.

The rest of the book is enjoyable enough, until the long and boring epilogue. I thought the purpose of reading mysteries was to figure out who did the crime before it is revealed, but I do not see even the most intelligent person figuring this one out. She gives three clues, and they are vague. Somehow I knew who it was though. After he died, then I was like hmm. The things he said and such really made me think it was him. (SPOILER) It turned out to be the guy I thought it was. He faked his death. There was no hint at all for the reader to figure this out. (END SPOILER)

She handled dialogue well, even if it is outdated. For example the characters use the word queer, I think to mean strange, or odd.

The plot idea is original, and pretty good. If her other books are as unique, I am sure this is why people love her books so much. They are just not my style.

If you know of a modern fast paced mystery, let me know, thanks.

2. Kylie

Kylie New Member

All of the Agatha Christie's books that I've read start off that way. They start off slow and then around the middle become so exciting it's hard to put the book down. It tends to get kind of annoying for some people, but I really them. Actually, most of her books are more interesting that, but that's just my opinion.

Anyway, Vince Flynn writes modern day, fast-pasted, crime/thriller type novels. I don't care much for the books he writes, but you might like them...

3. architectus

architectus Banned

Thanks kylie. What about fast paced mysteries?