1. Brazen

Brazen New Member

Tighter Rules?

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by Brazen, Oct 17, 2006.

Just a suggestion...maybe you should have tighter rules on this forum? Ya know, for when the n00bs and trolls start coming in. (Inevitable for any forum.) They'll have less of a reason to think they're entitled to do any crap they want all over the place.

Honestly, I am a pretty laid back person, and by all means I'm the type to perfer relaxed rules on a forum, but still rules nonetheless.

Just don't want the site to be degraded by the idiots on the internet. This place seems awesome so far. ;)

2. IndianaJoan

IndianaJoan New Member

This place IS a nice place.

As for tighter rules..I dont necessarily agree..

There is one solitary rule that everyone should always abide by and that is the rule of Common Courtesy.

I will tell you from past experience that it sucks to be a noob, find a place you really like, and then summarily get trashed and harrassed by other long term members who dont like the fact that you are actively posting.

Everyone should always remember that often times it is very easy to be misunderstood in written form. Especially if you are a noob and people dont understand your personality. Assumptions are made and noobs are made to feel like fools.

My best word of advice is to always, always give someones post the benefit of the doubt. If it feels offensive to you, then by all means report it or talk to the poster. I have found that when i feel offended by a particular post, often times I have just misunderstood the posters "mood" or "intention". There are some spammers and jerks out there..but dont punish the masses for the crimes of the few.

I have a few rules I live by in forums:

1. Never insult another poster in the open forums
    2. Never assume that a persons post is posted in "anger"..often times people just like a good debate, respond in kind and keep it impersonal.
    3. If a person insults you, dont reply to the post in open forums, instead message them privately and take the argument "outside".

Forums are a great place to debate, vent, and showcase. If you start imposing too many rules, you end up limiting forums and allowing the opportunity for power hungry mods (and im sorry but there are some, albeit not here that ive seen) to assert so much authority that it feels almost fascist in nature.

Last rule:

4. Respect each other for your differences and learn to understand that each different person represents a different character with thoughts and emotions that may differ from yours. As in a good story, the character carries it. Learn to be open minded and respectful of those whose thoughts and opinions differ from your own :)

Thats my rant and nice to meet you btw :p

3. Brazen

Brazen New Member

Oh, okay.

Well, I have nothing against new people. Just new people who just come in and spam a bunch of crap and think they can go around like they own the place. (Well, older members do that too I guess.)

I could've sworn there was a difference between n00b and newbie.

Yeah, I just couldn't find the rules anywhere, I just assumed we didn't have any. :p

4. Pooka

Pooka New Member

N00bs and newbies do have differences, lmao.

"N00b" is the technical term for an annoying newbie. (I prefer newbitch, but to keep it clean and unoffending...lmao).

I agree, you should keep the rules lax, but add some restrict. Because I can guarantee, like Brazen said, that there will be n00bs here at one time or anothing. The site is relatively small at the moment and without a doubt it'll grow, so, I'd keep it in mind. (For when they do come.)

Don't do anything just yet - the system is working.

But keep the option in mind for the future when we do get n00bs.

x

5. IndianaJoan

IndianaJoan New Member

Yeah but why impose new rules when you can just "ban" them?

There are forum rules btw heh

I hate griefers as much as the next person, but some people are simply more outgoing and willing to jump in and start posting. For some reason, this offends people.

I simply dont mind noobs posting stuff they want edited provided it is tasteful and not meant to disturb the group. I realize some people believe that noobs should "do their time" before posting, but frankly as a writer, when I found a writers group I was so damn excited to have other people around that wrote that I was eager to post my stuff.

Why put limitations on when they can post stuff to be read over by other members? I mean if you dont want to edit their stuff cause they are too new..then by all means..dont click on the post :p But to restrict posting to noobs implies some sort of pecking order to me and doesnt lend itself to good warm welcoming feelings.

Maybe I am idealist, maybe I am just more patient than some. I like to see new folks come here..and if I am not mistaken moderators can ban problem children if they are blatantly breaking forum etiquette?

Mass punishment never sat well with me. And invoking rules to prevent something from happening never really prevents the "real" problems from appearing anyway. Harrassers tend to make new accounts, change ISPs..if they want to grief there are many ways to do it and I can assure you, they dont care about rules anyway!

Just my two cents worth.

6. Pooka

Pooka New Member

That's a good point.

And I don't mean the newbies who go on an start posting useful stuff. But for instance, I'm a moderator at a major board in which my moderative location gets all the annoying n00bs.

I'm talking, "OMFGGGGGGGGG IIIIIIIIIIII LOOOOOOOOOOOOOVVEEEEEEEEEEEEE THISISIISIS SITEEEE!!" and stuff.

And that's just annoying. I'm a member here for less than 24 hrs and I've yet to be loud and obnoxious.

I hope so, anyway. :)

x

7. IndianaJoan

IndianaJoan New Member

LOL i see your point as well!!! I suppose I always have some room for improvement :p

8. Mercury

Mercury Active Member

Brazen, if you're having any problems at all, just PM a mod and give us the details.

I'm not quite sure what 'rules' you're referring to. The same rules regarding respect and politeness apply here as they do in most walks of life.

If you think somebody is breaking those rules ie being disrespectful or abusive just PM us. We WILL take the necessary action against offenders.

Apart from that, I'd like to see an environment here where people can discuss, debate and exchange ideas freely without over-interference. Just so long as they are mature and respectful about it!