1. Tim Tim

Tim Tim New Member

Writing For Children VS Teens Dilemma

Discussion in 'Children's & Young Adult' started by Tim Tim, Feb 1, 2015.

Greetings One And All,
    I have written two childrens stories so far but as I re-read through them I can't seem to get the words at the right age level. The story line is young children fantasy while the words are teen and older fantasy. I guess what I am asking is how do you play the words down to your audience. Last. How does one determine what age group he is actually writing to? Is the story for ages 3 to 7 or 8 to 12 and so forth.
    Sincerely posted

2. Catrin Lewis

Catrin Lewis Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2023 Community Volunteer

Do you know any elementary school teachers? They should have lists of words kids are expected to know at a given grade level. Use the ones for your target age and other words like them. But sprinkle in a good few that are more advanced, to challenge them and help them feel as smart as they are. Kids know when they're being talked down to.

As for the group you're writing towards, ask some real kids what story elements might appeal to them. Or ask your local children's librarian.

3 to 7 would be way too large a range, BTW. 3 & 4, 4 & 5, 6 & 7, more like it.

Pitching a book right for kids is a real art. Good progress to you!

GingerCoffee likes this.