1. chasingchelsea

chasingchelsea New Member

I need a title!! (Plot description inside)

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by chasingchelsea, Dec 4, 2012.

I'm desperately looking for a title to the story. Basically, it is about paranormal beings and the "hunters" of them.
    The general plot will go something like this:
    The demon, John, made a deal with the twins' friend, Jeremy
    So Ada and Aiden set out to find a way to break this deal and save their friend's soul
    John gives them an opportunity to extend Jeremy's deal longer by getting the soul of someone important
    Ada and Aiden fight about the morality of this
    builds to a climax which I have not yet written
    Ultimately results in Jeremy getting dragged to hell and leaving room for a sequel.

I originally thought of the series as a 4 book series.

2. Timewalker

Timewalker Member

As Cogito would say: A writer always makes his decison himself.
    As mammamaia would say: do not make a sequel unless the first book is really good.
    As I would say: Do not post excerpts here.

And a title:Souls

1 person likes this.
  3. psychotick

psychotick Contributor Contributor

Hi,

A Bargain of Souls;
    Soul Trader;
    Souled!;

Etc.

Cheers, Greg.

4. Selbbin

Selbbin The Moderating Cat Staff Contributor Contest Winner 2023

The Demon, John

5. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

I'm sorry but it sounds like Jeremy's just there so the story could happen - does he actually do anything? And if we're supposed to care for Jeremy's eternal fate, he should be an important character. What's he doing to break the deal himself? Why is Ada and Aiden doing all the work and it's not even their soul, while Jeremy sits around drinking tea?

Also, Ada and Aiden are far too similar - the rhyming thing is bad.

Never plan it as a sequel - you'll end up dragging things out just to make the first part a novel. Just write the whole story, including how Jeremy gets out of hell, and then if it is suitable you can always split it up into 2 books. But for what you have right now, you don't sound like you have enough for one whole novel.

As for title - you're really getting ahead of yourself. You don't even have an ending! I mean, it's ok to have a title before you're done, but what's the rush? You have a LONG way to go my friend. My novel's been finished since July and I'm still bloody editing now!

But if you really want a title, how about:
    1- The Bargain
    2- The Bargaining of Souls
    3- Scapegoat
    4- Innocent Souls
    5- Dark Dealings
    6- An Eye For An Eye
    7- Race with the Devil
    8- A Fool's Mistake
    9- Lunch with the Devil
    10- Beneath the Grave

6. Trilby

Trilby Contributor Contributor

The Demon Hunters

7. SuperVenom

SuperVenom Senior Member

With twins i think its forgivable as lots of parents name twins with alteration or slight rhyme. Peter and Paul, bill and ben etc.

Title wise hmmm.....

Precious Dealings or Souls for Sale lol :D

8. hippocampus

hippocampus Active Member

Do you have to name it now? My book has a working title. I know it will need to change, but I feel like that can wait until later.

9. Mikewritesfic

Mikewritesfic Active Member

Not Another Demon/Fantasy/Vampire-esque Story

10. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

if it's not yet completed, wait till you get to the end before worrying about a title...

and yes, i would counsel you to not waste time on a sequel untill the first book has appeared on the nyt bestseller list... unless, of course, you're self-publishing and don't care if they make any money or not...

11. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

Finish the story.

Forget the sequel. "86" the four-book series, the movie-rights deal, the TV miniseries. The school named in your honor.

Finish one story. Then edit: shape it, grind it, sand it, trim it, varnish, polish and buff it till it shines like a star. At some point in that long, arduous process, a title will occur to you. In fact, it will likely jump out at you at one point while you're editing - some event, some elemental truth of your story, will leap out at you and smack you upside the head and scream: "THIS!"

Until then, if you absolutely must have a working title (and I know I like to have one), make it a small, simple expression that sums up your work, or perhaps just the name of the mc. And if you can't do that, try "One Step at a Time".

12. thedarkknight

thedarkknight Member

Hell of a Deal

(at least from Jeremy's perspective)

13. captain kate

captain kate Senior Member

Here! Here!

As for titles, that's something the writer needs to come up with on his/her own. If a writer can't create a title, then how will they be able to create/edit/shape their final product. There's a reason why writing is a solitary endeavor...

14. Webster

Webster Member

A Covenant With Satan

15. singphantom7

singphantom7 Banned

I wouldn't listen to the negativity. Yes, you should concentrate on the first novel as a whole and complete story in and of it's own, but if you want to expand it to four different novels, why not? If you really have that much to write, go for it. If you want it to be about souls and demons..well good for you. I don't have anywhere near the amount of ideas you'd need to span four different novels, let alone one. But I know people who do...they are just chalk-full of plots that beg to be written.

Also, titles were never my thing. I would venture so far as to say they are one of my greatest weakness as a writer. I once wrote a horro short that won a paying competition and gave loads of credit to a wrter friend that suggested the title. The writing stood on its own, but I just couldn't think of anything I liked as far as titles go. I always get so indecisive and panicky...like everything rests on this one decision and I just don't know what to do!

Continue writing the story. Perhaps you'll get a light-bulb flash of genius for a title. Don't force it.

Souled! made me laugh. Clever.

Spirit Assassins? See, I suck at this.

Good luck to you. I think the plot sounds interesting!

16. chasingchelsea

Yes, Jeremy does play an important role, but we actually won't see Jeremy in the present until it begins to build to the climax. We'll see a lot of recollections of Jeremy from Ada and Aiden, but the reason why it focuses more on Ada and Aiden is due to the fact that that I do plan on writing a series. Successful or not, I have a lot to say about the twins, and the series will be developed on the twins.
    As far as plot ideas go, I'm chock full of them. And the whole thing is not going to be solely dedicated to them saving Jeremy's soul. There will be plenty of other avenues to unravel at a later date and time, perhaps in a sequel. But the overall picture, and the reason why they are on the hunt, is because of the deal with John. And this one book will cover this hunt for a way to save his soul as a whole.
    There will be much more than demons in the story. I've got a few ideas rattling around about the Afro-Brazilian god of iron and war, Ogum. Just trying to decide the best way to incorporate this character into the story. Will he help Ada and Aiden? Or will Ada and Aiden find a way to kill the god? Is there a way to kill a god? If not, how would they get rid of his troublesome ways? How does the character add to the plot? Etc. I'm still working him in. Hell, he might not make a way in, but I really like the idea of Ogum Inc. being an iron ore company in Alabama, etc. Perhaps he won't come til later.
    Of course, I will have vengeful spirits. They're just too much fun to leave out. And they're easy to write.
    I've also considered Jeremy being in Aokigahara, Japan's haunted forest, for most of the story. I'm still not sure how this would help his case, but again, the creative juices are constantly flowing, and I'm constantly getting new ideas.
    Honestly, I could write these stories forever. But I'd like 4 parts to Ada and Aiden's story.

17. chasingchelsea

Also, thank you for the creative titles. Honestly, reading over some of them I wonder why I couldn't come up with that. Haha. I haven't made a decision, but they've definitely helped to get me thinking.

18. singphantom7

singphantom7 Banned

Good for you, chelsea. keep it up!

19. Lorraine Johnson

Lorraine Johnson New Member

I honestly like it when someone uses just a line of their script that sort of sums it up. Like "To kill a mockingbird", it's not about mocking birds, and they're only mentioned briefly once, but it sums it up. Do you have a line like that?

20. Lewdog

Lewdog Come ova here and give me kisses! Supporter Contributor

Between Heaven and Hell

Heart and Soul

Souldiers

Let's Make a Deal

Whispers from a Forked Tongue

One Hell of a Friendship

That's all I have right now, after 3 am lol

21. AIAlexen

AIAlexen New Member

John seems an odd name for a demon.

22. chasingchelsea

That's because it is an odd name for a demon. It is not the demon's real name. He chose it because he felt it amusing to have such a standard name and wreak such havoc. I doubt we will ever learn John's real name, because I'm not even sure I know it, he's kept it such a secret.

23. Trilby

Trilby Contributor Contributor

Love it.

24. Selbbin

Selbbin The Moderating Cat Staff Contributor Contest Winner 2023

Honestly that's why I suggested the title The Demon, John. Because that instantly gets me curious as to why a demon is called John and what he's going to be up to. Is he good? Is he bad? Is he fun?

25. Griplan

Griplan New Member

John Spawn.