1. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

Queer please help me through it lol

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by Elgaisma, Sep 13, 2010.

I'm only on page 9 please tell me it gets less Catcher in the Rye miserable as it goes on?

2. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Hun, without any punctuation in the thread tag, I have no idea what you are talking about. It almost sounds as if you are requesting a Queer and need help with it.

Queer, please! Help me through it. LOL.

3. Elgaisma

LOL sorry was reading, writing my book, holding an unhappy baby and posting at the same time. I am trying to read Queer by William Burroughs:) And right now I am getting a real Catcher in the Rye type miserable vibe to it - does it get better?

It has taken me an hour to get to page 10 usually I'd have been nearly through a book of this size.

Should I persist or should I send it to Oxfam in the morning?

4. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Why are you creating a thread about a book you are only nine pages into?

Maybe it is all the time you spend posting off-topic responses and frivolous threads that is slowing your reading.

5. Elgaisma

I am now 25 pages into it (of 122 pages) and want to know if it is worth continuing. It came highly recommended by people on the forum and their previous recommendations have been good. I am hoping someone will tell me this seminal work gets better and is worth plugging on with.

EDIT OK have more or less finished it - yuck maybe I need more of an active brain for it but miserable unhappy piece of work and it felt disjointed. Anyone else feel same way about it? Or can teach me to love it?

6. Gannon

Gannon Contributor Contributor

To me, Queer is a well-told (largely unrequited) love story revealing the human side of Burroughs, and in its bravery (being banned for many years due to homosexual content) can reveal humanity's human side too. I find its writing as open and honest as its message, and the intimate portrait of of Mexico City reminds me of Marquez's South America. Later Burroughs works would become a lot more dense and his character a lot more selfish, so the lightness in touch is perhaps best appreciated in context. That it can also be argued as atleast semi-autobiographical adds a great sadness to the work I think. Worth continuing I'd say, but then I did recommend it!

7. Elgaisma

Your other recommendations were so good I'll sit and read it without distraction when e have moved, it did get easier to read. Thanks Gannon