Tags:
  1. TheNineMagi

TheNineMagi take a moment to vote

The Daily Prompt

Discussion in 'Word games' started by TheNineMagi, Jul 21, 2017.

I honestly do not know how far I will take this, but the idea here is to create a prompt on a daily basis,
    Perhaps, 1 post per week, with a separate prompt for each day of the upcoming week.

Members can then, if so inclined write, a poem, short story, or flash fiction, based on the prompts.
    (open creativity, within forum rules)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Personally I find prompts to really help getting the creative process going. Also reading what others do with a prompt sometimes gives me ideas. A lot of times it is a repeated theme just wrapped a little different, but I have seen gems and those have a tendency to inspire the creative spirits. Even repeated themes have value, because it provides examples of variations, and approaches a writer can use. Sometime a little tidbit, is what a writer needs to discover what their MC would do in a situation, fill in the plot holes, or tighten up a chapter or scene.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RE: Feedback Critiques:
    If the member really wants feedback on the piece they could add (Feedback Wanted) next to the title and it would be open to critique, by other members, who read the prompt entry. This does not mean you will get feed back, but it serves as an indicator that you are actively seeking advice and open to taking constructive criticism.

-- if for some reason you do not want feedback then simply add (No Feedback) to the title.. you might still get a like here and there, and hopefully members respect it enough to refrain from posting dislikes. To the reader I would point out, the writer may have just gone thru a slew of rejections, or not in the mood for further negativity and just not up for any more critiques at this moment in their life. The piece in this instance was more for the writer's own personal enjoyment and should be respected as such, even if every fiber of your being abhors what they wrote.

If left blank then the writer is simply leaving it up to the reader to decide, if they wish to engage. Similar to feedback wanted, but at a much lower scale.

Benefits here, would be over the long run it could work as a repository of ideas, styles, and critiques.
    --- Please keep in mind submitting it anywhere online, may keep it from being publishable in the future. If you are worried about this simply use the prompt in an offline personal journal. However if looking for simple exercises to get feedback on this may be a good starting point.

--- if members are interested then I will post the first set on Sunday Afternoon (PST) 7/23/2017.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2017
  2. TheNineMagi

TheNineMagi take a moment to vote

Monday: The Ballerina
    [​IMG]

Tuesday: A Day at the Beach
    [​IMG]

Wednsday: The Lemonade Stand
    [​IMG]

Thursday: The Fisherman
    [​IMG]

Friday: An Underwater City
    [​IMG]

Saturday: Friendly Critters
    [​IMG]

Sunday: A Different Time, A Different Place
    [​IMG]

v_k and Magus like this.
  3. Elvira Chavez

Elvira Chavez Member

Oceanica was a thriving city in the Great Barrier Reef. Victoria was a beautiful butterfly fish. She lived with her family in one of the nicest luxury apartments atop Oceanica. She was the most beautiful in her school. Now in her senior year of fish school, Victoria had big dreams to become the best reporter in the city. She would attend Fishdom University and carry out her dream. Though the most popular fish in school, she was always very kind and humble towards everyone. No matter who you were or what social class you came from. This would help her greatly in her future endeavors.

v_k likes this.
  4. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Holy resurrection, Batman!

Elvira Chavez likes this.