1. g_man526

g_man526 Member

A small question about the college fiction genre

Discussion in 'Genre Discussions' started by g_man526, Dec 17, 2011.

If there is such a thing, that is. See, I'm in the beginning of writing a story about the supernatural revolving around the lives of some four college students (to give you an idea, my main inspirations for starting this project were the Japanese novel/anime series Haruhi Suzumiya and my own college experience, which is swiftly approaching its end). I just wanted to know if anyone knew if there's such a thing as "college fiction," and if so, what sort of genre conventions I should know? To be honest, I will follow or not follow whichever conventions as I see fit for the sake of my story and how I think it should be told, but I would feel better about obeying or breaking those conventions if I knew what they were.

2. AmyHolt

AmyHolt New Member

Never heard of 'college fiction' but there are stories out there geared that the group of people. I wonder if it would still be considered YA?

3. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

To my knowledge, there's no such genre. Your book would most likely be categorized as general fiction, fantasy, etc. Besides, it's up to the publisher to decide what genre your book falls under, so there's little need to worry about that at the moment.

4. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

it's not a matter of 'genre'... horror/romance/historical/western and so on are 'genres'... here, the issue is the 'age market' that's being targeted... the work could fall into the upper range of YA, or just 'adult'...