1. The-anonymous-writer

The-anonymous-writer New Member

I'm not sure how to bring these two enemy lands together

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by The-anonymous-writer, Dec 22, 2009.

I need some help. I have one land that is cruel and evil and one land that is basically normal.
    The normal people hate the evil ones because the evil ppl killed the normal ppl's family members and all that. lol I hope that makes sense.
    They also think that the evil people are all born evil but actually they are just raised that way...though some of them would be evil by choice even if that's not all that they have known.

Anyways.. I need some help bringing the two lands together. I mean, some of the people would change and decide they could like each other but some will not change. There are not too many that like both kinds of people so I don't think they could win a battle against the two sides that are still enemies....

Does that make sense?

Let me know if you have any ideas. ;)

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

These are very fundamental story questions you are asking: What should I name my female lead character, what should overcome the enmity between my countries.

You can get other people to answer these questions for you, but then how much of the story will really be yours? And what will you do when you encounter the really tough decisions?

3. NyeLew

NyeLew New Member

So, like, you want to write about Israel and Palestine being forced to unite into one country?

4. Feievel23

Feievel23 New Member

A natural disaster that forces them to work together to save their people. Or any crisis that forces them to work together for the well-being of both their lands.

5. TedR

TedR New Member

We can't tell you how to bring two enemies together. Like Cogito said, how much of it would be your story in the end? It's something you'll have to find out yourself.

Something you could do is look in history for examples of animosity between groups of people. Palestine and Israel were mentioned. How about the Civil War (any of them from any country), or maybe the tumultuous relationship between England and France in the middle ages? Or perhaps the differences between the USA and USSR in the Cold War? These are just examples. You'll have to decide what works best for your story yourself.

6. Sielas

Sielas New Member

How about the ruling class/royal family from one side is destroyed/assassinated. The ruling class from the other than moves in and occupies.

7. Cyrano

Cyrano New Member

You just made my day. :)

8. NaCl

NaCl Contributor Contributor

The ability to create feeds the story-telling beast locked inside all of us. If you lack imagination or the desire to craft all components of a story, then perhaps you should not try to be an author. Creativity is the very essence of writing and I can not imagine ever asking others to evolve my manuscript for me. Take some time to outline the possibilities for your story and then begin hanging meat on the plot that you like best.

9. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Contributor Contributor

As was indicated, look to history for examples. And also as was indicated, it is essential that the writer be able to solve these basic problems, especially at the outset.

Sometimes what appears to be a viable story or novel is actually only an idea or a fanciful scene that cannot be grown into anything more.

A simple example would be the "Enemy of my enemy is my friend." If there were a threat that the 'normal' folks feared more than dealing with the 'evil' folks, and both needed to cooperate, at least on a basic level to survive--there you have your reasoning.

But this outside force may not be a part of your vision for the novel or world, as only you have all of those pieces. My suggestion is just a shot in the dark.

Good luck.

Terry

10. bruce

bruce Active Member

First, be a reader. Read fiction and non-fiction.

11. Irish87

Irish87 New Member

Wow, we're being mean today...

Anyhow, as a few have said, look to history as an example. Since this is more of a political question I would advise that you look into societies which mirror, to a certain degree, your two. My personal favorite is and will probably forever be Russia and Germany during the 1930-40's. I was also a fan of the French-English relationship during the Revolutionary War.

Meh, to each his own. Good luck either way and remember: history is your friend... unless you're Germany, in which case you may want to forget a decade or so.

12. InkDream

InkDream Active Member

Nothing brings people together like a common threat. A natural disaster, a common enemy, what have you.

13. fantasy girl

fantasy girl New Member

wrong quote... sorry

This is the one. ^^