1. Ella Frank

Ella Frank New Member

Fav Heroine & Hero

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by Ella Frank, Aug 4, 2011.

Hi all :)

I am curious as to who your favorite Heroine & Hero is? Why are they your fav and what is it about them that draws you to them as a character. They can be in the same book or two completly different stories. I will put mine down below.

Jamie Frasier (Diana Gabolden - Outlander Series) If you have not read these let me tell you they are long and full of Scottish history, but because of the completly intoxicating way it is written you just don't care. I choose Jamie because he starts out as an unlikely Hero. He is young, not very worldly and somewhat naive. He is also from a time when they didn't know quite so much. He also starts out as a friend in this novel, a person that is relied on and as he matures he becomes a pillar of strength. He reveals many hard times he has gone through and takes away a solid brutual truth from them. I fell in love with him as the boy that grew into the man.

My woman is harder because I have read so many books I am sure I am not remembering who I love the most but one that pops to mind for me is from a book I read as a young adult and most of you probably wont know.

Josie Alibrandi - from Austalian Author Melina Marchetta (Looking for Alibrandi)This is a story about a young Italian girl in a Private School on a scholarship and who lives with her single mother. She is faced with everyday dramas but she is also dealt with adult issues of finally finding her father, knowing where she came from, the horrible reality that in a private school a scholarship usually means you are worth much less than others, in their eyes. She is strong, funny and smart and she never lets anyone get her down no matter how much harder she has it. This was a great novel to read as a young adult and i recomend it for everyone.

So they are mine, I would love to hear yours. I know it is hard to choose just one, I am sure I have a few hundred. :) lol

Ella
    xx

2. lostinwebspace

lostinwebspace Active Member

I always liked Spider-Man.

3. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

Harry Potter. He's not the perfect, clean-cut warrior. He's an orphan kid who becomes the hope of a world he didn't even know existed until he was 11. He has greatness and aspirations thrust upon him and he copes with that in a very realistic way. Plus we grew up together. :D

Bruce Wayne/Batman. He's not blessed with superpowers, but he uses his intelligence, strength, power, influence and money to help a city who half the time despises him.

Katniss Everdeen. I love survivalist characters, and especially female ones, since you see damsels in distress far too often. Her "stay alive, trust no one" attitude and her dedication to those she loves is amazing.

Lisbeth Salander. Skilled hacker and fighter, trusts no one, and always gets revenge.

4. Chris Gentry

Chris Gentry New Member

Harry Blackstone Copperfield Dresden - Dresden Files

5. Gigi_GNR

Frodo Baggins, Lord of the Rings.

6. Quezacotl

Quezacotl New Member

John Freeman is the greatest hero ever.
    Otherwise,
    Arthur Dent and Fenchurch.

7. Mobhit

Mobhit New Member

Gosh this is tough,

I am gonna have to say Axis from Sara Douglas's Wayfarer Redemption. I certainly recommend this series to any one!

8. WriterDude

WriterDude Contributor Contributor

Stevie Rae Johnson (House of Night). She starts out as the funny sidekick, like dressing up as a cowgirl (complete with a cowboy-boot lamp and listening to country music) while everyone else dress up all in black. (well, they are vampires...) But she goes through a lot of change over the series, making her a very disturbed character in many ways. She has a lot of problems on her own, yet always finds time to help out her friends when needed.

Aphrodite LaFonte (House of Night). Another favorite from that series. She's the villain in the first book, but like Stevie Rae, she goes through a lot of changes over the series and really grows.

Oliver Queen/Green Arrow: The poor guy is also a playboy billionaire with a secret identity and fancy gadgets like a certain Bruce Wayne, but has never gotten the fame he deserves. I like him more than Batman in many ways, especially after Smallville. Instead of The Dark Knight Rises, we should get The Emerald Archer Rises. :)

9. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

My top two.

Winston Smith (Nineteen-eighty Four) because he had the balls to not only stand up against Big Brother, but he also had the balls to commit the crime of falling in love.

Satan (Paradise Lost) because he was a deeply flawed and yet also weirdly likable protagonist, with a distinct sense of humor.

10. Fullmetal Xeno

Fullmetal Xeno Protector of Literature Contributor

Spiderman is my favorite. He shares the same name as mine. :D

11. Rassidan

Rassidan New Member

Roland Deschain, The Dark Tower - I just love the way this character interacts with everything through the series. In a way I feel I am similar to him and this made all the difference. This is a guy who truly knew that his task was bigger than him and anyone else in his way.

Amberle Elessedil, The Elfstones of Shannara - Not only does this take the rank of my favorite book in the whole Shannara Series but it introduces one of my favorite heroines as well. I find it a tragic and heroic tale over all and the fact the heroine by no means is a tom-boyish chick out doing battle made it all the more memorable. Just your average girl who had to make a sacrifice for the good of everyone.

12. WriterDude

WriterDude Contributor Contributor

You mean Spider-man? The - is kinda important. ;)

13. Fullmetal Xeno

Fullmetal Xeno Protector of Literature Contributor

Ah crap i forgot about the -. I can't type today XD.

14. Gigi_GNR

This.

15. AJSmith

AJSmith New Member

Hard to choose really, but one that really sticks with me is Mercedes Thompson in her series by Patricia Briggs. I like how normal she is, always gets into trouble, has a cowardly side, isn't a standout talent in the supernatural world that surrounds her, but still faces all the BS that comes her way.

16. Sundae

Sundae New Member

Outlander is seriously the worst, most despicable book I have read. It is an abomination to novel kind in my eyes. Sorry, that must suck to hear, but I really hated that book.

17. Ella Frank

Ella Frank New Member

Wow Sundae, those are some harsh words but it doesn't bother me. Everyone has their fav's that's why there are so many books to choose from, I happened to enjoy that series quite a lot. Not everyone is going to like specific genres and the same thing I do..to each their own I say.:)

1 person likes this.
  18. Sundae

Sundae New Member

Yeah. That whole series seems to be divided if you read reviews on it. You either love it or hate it. I happened to hate it.

19. Gigi_GNR

Artemis Fowl, because he's this intelligent, cold and calculating genius, but at the same time he's just a kid, too, and his vulnerability shows through at times.

20. StrangerWithNoName

StrangerWithNoName Longobard duke

Snake Plissken : he represent all an antihero should be. Distillate nihilism in the shape of a man, disilluded by everything and everybody in life, who just think about survival.

Ellen Ripley: probably the first "real" strong woman in cinema and literature, and so far the most believable. Originally a warrent officer of a cargo with a complex of superiority, she survives an impossible situation along with a cat, but she's not unshakable, unbreakable or invincible like many other "strong woman" of today with boobs & guns.