1. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed

Article on understanding poetry

Discussion in 'The Craft of Writing Poetry' started by Iain Aschendale, Jul 11, 2017.

I'm not generally into poetry, which is why I found this article on it so interesting. Posting here is in no way intended to be a criticism of any member's work or style :)

Understanding Poetry is More Straightforward Than You Think

GuardianWynn and OJB like this.
  2. Laurus

Laurus Disappointed Idealist Contributor

Interesting. I liked this part:
    I've written poetry but a lot of it has felt kinda bullshit because I couldn't manage to be literal or really even clear. The author has a neat perspective though, I like the way she sees it.

GuardianWynn likes this.
  3. OJB

OJB A Mean Old Man Contributor

Yeah, I agree with this 100%.

I rather get annoyed with poets who think their work needs to be 'deep and complex.' -Not to say you can have things going on in the background-.

The best poems offer something for both the average reader and for the reader wanting deep and complex.

Julia Alvarez's How I learned to sweep, is a very simple, straightforward poem, but by the end of it, even the average reader will be left with a feeling of dread and sorrow. It is really the model of what good poetry should look like.

GuardianWynn likes this.