1. The Backward OX

The Backward OX New Member

Outback Queensland, Australia, far from the maddin

The Human Mind . . .

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by The Backward OX, Jun 23, 2009.

Has your mind ever ceased to function as a creative entity, with nothing there any more, no ideas, nothing, so that all you could do was sit and stare at a wall?

If so, and you’re now over it, what did you do to get it moving again?

2. lazerus reborn

lazerus reborn New Member

I didnt thats why am here

lol jk

I justed forced myself not to get outa bed until i had a worthwhile idea. I eventually was inspired by my hunger lol

3. Cheeno

Cheeno Member

A long walk or a swim generally does it for me. I think, though, the main thing is to be proactive in generating activity. Find something that stimulates you creatively. Good luck with it.

4. Gone Wishing

Gone Wishing New Member

Yep.

Nothing - I couldn't think of anything to do. :confused:

And...I'm not trying to be funny - I think if you have the drive, an insistent urge that is telling you there's more you want/have to do, then your mind is still functioning, still creating, it's just not landing on one thing that's satisfying that urge consistently.

If we're speaking solely about writing, I'm not much one for advocating constantly sitting at the ideas table until something sparks, or writing whatever until you come up with something 'acceptable' - that just seems like a lot of wasted time to me and in the mean time you could be out in the world getting new/different experiences [and don't tell me you've had enough experiences for several books already] to bring back to the table later. Sitting there trying to come up with ideas for something, anything, just to do it makes the experience become perfunctory for me, which is not how I can treat my creativity, personally.

I don't see much point just observing life to try and get an idea, and my own mind doesn't take too kindly to being pushed - it's very stubborn. When you find something that is too important not to say/do, you'll recognise it and then say/do it.

5. ValianceInEnd

ValianceInEnd Active Member

I find that creativity, in the sense of forming a story, is just a random thing. Some small detail or feeling will just click in my mind and following a story or song is formed. If you're feeling a wee bit 'o writers block, don't worry about it. It happens to everyone. Just relax or go out and do something you enjoy. Something will suddenly just pop in your brain eventually. :)

6. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Absolutely it has. When this occurs, it is usually my signal that I need to forum (v.) less.

7. ThePman220

ThePman220 New Member

Oh this happens all the time. It's usually when I've been focusing too hard and trying to force out ideas.

Best solution for me is to step away and go do something mindless. It seems like relaxing and letting my mind wander is the best way to get the inspiration flowing again. I'll sit at the keyboard for an hour or two sometimes with nothing, then go play some Grand Theft Auto for awhile, or read a magazine, or go for a walk, and ideas start clicking back into place again.

8. Hsnodgrass

Hsnodgrass New Member

When my brain gets like that I like to stream-of-conscious write about nothing. Literally. The "exercise" consists of writing at least 500 words that make grammatically correct sentences and the like, but do not form a cohesive narrative or have a common theme. Just basically random thoughts/observations/mental vomit. Usually helps get my brain-gears turning.

9. KurtistheTurtle

KurtistheTurtle New Member

To answer your question with one word, yes. Watch a movie you find really funny or intriguing and don't try to force ideas out. Or sit down and make it your goal to write all the "stupid" thoughts and ideas that come to your head.