1. JJ_Maxx

JJ_Maxx Banned

Book of Acts, Chapter 27, Verses 39-41

Discussion in 'Setting Development' started by JJ_Maxx, Mar 3, 2013.

So I'm in the early stages of writing an adaptation of St. Paul's journey from Ceasarea to Rome in 60 AD.

I have this passage and wanted to get thoughts on the possible meanings here. (You don't need to be a scholar, I'm taking large liberties within the text.)

Okay, so after two weeks completely lost on the Mediterranean Sea, they hear the waves breaking in the distance at night. They take a depth reading and find it's 100 feet or so (15 fathoms). They drop all four anchors and wait for morning.

When morning came, they couldn't recognize the land, but they saw a bay and decided to make a break for it. They actually cut away the anchors and made for the bay.

Then they struck a place 'where two seas met' and were stuck still a good distance from shore.

What do you think this means? Where two seas met? Maybe it was a sand bank where the water from the bay met the water of the sea?

2. Pheonix

Pheonix A Singer of Space Operas and The Fourth Mod of RP Contributor

In my translation, the NWT, it says in verse 41, "When they lighted upon a shoal washed on each side by the sea..."

So it seems that they washed up on a sandbank with the sea on either side of them.

Hope that helps!

3. JJ_Maxx

JJ_Maxx Banned

Sweet, thanks. So they hit a sandbar. Probably caused by the 14-day storm and the offshore bottom current depositing sand farther out because of the larger waves and choppy sea.

4. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

The only place I can think of in the Med where 'two seas' meet is at, I think, Rhodes where the Mediterranean meets the Aegean sea.

5. summerrain

summerrain Member

where two seas met? J. J.__Maxx

It struck my head light bulb, when you asked this question, because I was on a Mediterranean cruise this fall. Sixteen days of boating, and food bloated bliss with so many countries to touch, smell and grab.
    Turkey, happened to be one of them. We road a huge, but comfy, blue velour seated, tourist bus to our first destination. It was a sky touching mountainous town called something like Kadassi,? (forgive me, my dictionary is on a very high shelf right now) The bus turned frighteningly delicate, cloud scraping corners the likes I have only seen Mario Andretti do.
    As we drove my seat happened to be on the sea side, and my mouth happened to be wide open.
    It was the Aegean sea, an arm of the Med. sea, between Greece and Turkey. The beauty of it humbled me, as the turquoise shoreline blended into a black rock formation and the free form coast line became a bejeweled and colorful necklace for the sea shore to wear. Other seas met here to meet, mate and continue flowing in their designated directions. I recall the tour guide mentioning the Black sea. My coma hadn't subsided yet from what I was visually mezmerized by. The diary of my trip is in a file, I can't retrieve right now. So you might check it out if you already haven't. I haven't finished reading this thread.
    Hope this helps!

6. SwampDog

SwampDog Senior Member

It could also be turbulent and opposing currents caused by a rapidly rising sea bed, so that the water looks like it's boiling. A prime example of such phenomena is the Portland Race off the south coast of England.

Nice graphic description.

7. summerrain

summerrain Member

seas

Thank you, yours too! If one can recall it's much easier.