1. (Mark)

(Mark) New Member

To be self-aware is unnecessary

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by (Mark), Apr 12, 2008.

I'm drunik and my friends are talking about philosophy.

I just thought you should know.

Bye!!!

2. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

lol well that sounds like a really interesting conversation to be listening to, joining in with whilst being drunk....o_O

3. (Mark)

(Mark) New Member

I can't join though. I'm trying to, but the fact that they have solid backgrounds in philosophy makes it sou that they are smpeaking another language. I have a solid bacground in literature, so I am speaking French and they are speaking aspdof8yas0-e9f8YW()_T$*Y and IT DOESN'T MAKE SENSE.

Yeah...

4. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

lol I used to hate it when people began talking cars when we were drinking together. I was always left there wondering what the heck a carborator was and differnet aspects of motors and makes and models.

Now I can join in cause I know more about cars and can fix them...to a degree :p lol but yeah I can understand how it can be annoying and frustrating not knowing what the heck people are going on about in conversation.

Me and an old friend of mine when we were drinking would talk like this..

Me: do you remember that thing that we did with and we were all like and then we did and like yeah <break out laughing>

my friend: oh my gosh like and then and he was all and we did the and then everyone was all there and we were and wow I can't believe it hey <break out laughing>

everyone would sit there and think we were totally nuts and have the most confused looks on their faces. We always new exactly what each other was talking about though. hehehe

5. (Mark)

(Mark) New Member

I've sobered up now, and their conversation about philosophy makes slightly more sense than it did before.

6. Heather Louise

Heather Louise Contributor Contributor

Hehe, the conversations always make more sense the next morning. :p We are doing philosophy in RE at the moment and everyone seems to hate me in that lessons because I actually have an opinion.

7. Eoz Eanj

Eoz Eanj Contributor Contributor

The philosophy course my friend takes and the philosophy course I take is different at university

His course is all about the structure of arguments

i.e.:

if all a's are b's
    and all b's are a's
    all a's are b's

sound or unsound

Valid or invalid

ect

My course is more about the conceptualisation of reality by humans, which I seem to prefer because it's alot more interesting and alot less clinical than inferring the fallacies within arguments

8. (Mark)

(Mark) New Member

I'm taking a course more like yours next semester Eoz. I'm pretty excited for it since I don't really know much of anything about philosophy.

9. Neha

Neha Beyond Infinity. Contributor

Torana, me and my friend talk a lot like you and yor friends....our lines are like:

Me: I would've have started abusing him.
    She:I know I was waiting for you to start.
    Me:You wanted me to!
    She:Yeah! it would have been fun.
    Me:Man, you seriously like th guy.
    She:No I don't.
    Me:You just don't want to admit it.
    She:I don't.
    Me:If you say I like you, I bet he'd say the same.......

and on and on..........except we're sober all this tyme.lol

As for philosophy.....my teacher says I'll be a great grandmother...lol

10. Heather Louise

Well as far as my teacher is concerned, there really isn't much to philospohpy. She said it is
    "The process of thinking about something in a logical and creative way. It is wanting to know something about something." She is a little nutsy our teacher but there ya go. :p

11. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Roughly translated, philosophy means love of comprehension or knowledge. So it's a very vaque term.

Science used to be called Natural Philosophy.

However, I do see a certain irony in discussing the tove of knowledge when all the participants' thinking is impaired.

12. Neha

lol.......sometimes though to be philisophical doesn't require college classes....I mean we just have to look at it in a different way......like death is like changing clothes, whe exchange the old body for a new one.......or somethings like that......

13. Cogito

College is about documenting knowledge, not about knowledge itself. I have always pursued knowlege, but college is something I do this late in life because not having the degrees puts limits on my career choices.

My grandfather always used to say, "Send a fool to college, and you'll get an educated fool."

14. (Mark)

(Mark) New Member

Your grandfather is right. In High School, they would churn out these people with high grade point averages that didn't really know much of anything. The same holds true once you go to college.

15. Neha

that's what!! I hate it...I don't have a high grad average, barely manage to keep early 90s...am a 5 pointer only in History, Civics and Geo....but I have more knowledge, other than bookish knowledge, not to sound conceited, but it's true.......nofe air!!

16. Luminous

Luminous New Member

I would love to see multiple agreeing sources that say that.

Education though...School isn't trying to make us smarter. Well, it is, but it isn't it's only goal. For the world to run on successfully, we need energy to tend to it's well being and lives' wellbeings, basically meaning they also train us to be laborers.

There are many things in school that are irrelevant and time wasted that leave neither the world, you, or the teacher better off than before, but for a generalization...They are more or less programming you into your future. They say they are teaching you to handle life, but they don't mean a job and money. They are teaching you to handle irrelevancy, disappointment, unhappiness, unfairness, and other things amongst that.

17. Heather Louise

I know what you, or your granddad are saying, but being a fool and being well educated on something or two different things. Take me, I am one of the slowest, most guliable people you could meet and yet I do fairly well in school and stuff. Two differnt things.

18. Cogito