Tags:
  1. bluebell80

bluebell80 New Member

Novel Manuscript printing?

Discussion in 'Genre Discussions' started by bluebell80, May 23, 2009.

This might seem like an odd question, but it just struck me while I was writing my story.

I am just past 50k words on a story and around the 160 page mark. I would say I am only about half way through my storyline, putting my ending around 100k words. If I continue going this way, I would say I will end up roughly with 320-350 word pages.

Here's where my train of thought went...When I go to print out these pages, what is the best way to go about doing that? On my home printer? At a Staples or Kinkos type place? Or with a more professional printer shop (there are two local ones in my area who do business cards, flyer printouts, and things like that.)?

I was curious to how those of you who have written longer manuscripts went about printing your's out. And when it comes to printing up copies to send to prospective agents/publishers/contests, and several copies of the manuscript must be printed, what is the preferred method of printing?

I realize for most unsolicited manuscript submissions only a query letter and summery, and/or first three chapters are usually submitted. But we do need at least one copy of our final draft to be printed, right?

I was just trying to figure out how much it might end up costing me to print everything. Makes me wonder if refillable ink cartridge kits, or programs are almost worth it when I'm going to be printing so much paper. Paper. Have to find that in bulk somewhere too. :)

Jenn

2. david.r

david.r New Member

I wrote a novel which clocked in at around 160 pages. Using an inkjet printer, I used about 2/3rds of the cartridge printing it out, so it cost around 10 or 12 GBP. That was really dumb of me because when I was completing my dissertation, I did a deal with the library which let me print and copy a similar amount for 5 GBP. What I'm trying to say is visit Kinkos or your library and check if they'll do a deal. Particularly independent copy places might take pity on you.

One time I got an independent student place in Pittsburgh to copy me an entire book for free (it was out of print, so I could hardly have bought it), by just asking if they could help me out. It was for class though, and I knew a guy who worked there.

3. bluebell80

bluebell80 New Member

Did you print out the novel double spaced, Times New Roman 12 Font? I think that is why I have so many pages. If I were single spaced it would be about 160-200 pages I would imagine.

4. RomanticRose

RomanticRose Active Member

For submission, double space is necessary. Print out a page of single spaced TNR12 and read it. Now imagine how your eyes would feel after ten pages of that, let alone over a hundred.
    This would not put an agent or publisher's reader in a receptive frame of mind, even if they didn't toss it automatically for formatting issues.

5. Rei

Rei Contributor Contributor

Refillable cartridges are worth it no matter how often you print. Don't waste time and money by paying other people to print it for you unless you don't have your own printer. In terms of font, TNR is okay, and becoming more acceptible, but Courier is still safer.

6. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

For a full manuscript, it may be worth your while to take it to an office store to do the printing. Your per page cost may actually be lower, and you won't put as much wear and tear on your printer. Most low cost home printers are not designed to print out hundreds of pages in a single session, and you may overheat the mechanism.

7. bluebell80

bluebell80 New Member

Cog, I thought of that. I don't think my little Lexmark could handle it. I never use it either, other than for printing photos out.

8. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

I have a small business quality inkjet, but I would probably still use the nearest Staples office store to print out a novel-sized manuscript.

Besides, their laser prints will not smear with a little moisture.

9. Rei

Rei Contributor Contributor

*shrugs* Mine have always been able to handle it.

10. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Contributor Contributor

Most publishers and agents intitially request not much more than a cover letter/query, maybe the first three chapters and synopsis. Many request email submissions with the novel attached (or downloaded file using an online submission form).

Whatever method you select to print your novel/manuscript, I'd recommend that you make a photocopy of it and send the photocopy and save the printed original to make more copies from, should that be necessary. Paying some business (such as those discussed above) to make the copies will be much cheaper than you could do it yourself (sticking dimes or quarters in a machine) and it will turn out much higher in quality.

Terry

11. AngeloBraxton

AngeloBraxton New Member

I printed 110 pages at Staples, once. I'd recommend them.

12. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i always printed out a 'print master' of my work on my computer printer [at 'best' setting for clearest copies], to keep on file for copying... and with long mss, would have them duped at a copy shop, until i bit the bullet and leased a commercial copier...

in my case, it made sense, as i was running a writing consultant business commanding up to $150/hr and could deduct the expense... otherwise, only using a copy shop makes good money sense...

however, since i gave up writing for money, i have also run off several copies of screenplays and other long works on my cheapie h-p printers from time to time, with no trouble at all... just takes a lot of ink and paper is all...