1. AASmith

AASmith Senior Member

Another 1st Person vs. 3rd Person Question

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by AASmith, Sep 7, 2020.

I am struggling with whether or not to use 1st person or 3rd person limited with my current WIP. I am writing a YA and intended to do 3rd person limited. I created my outline and everything with the plan on doing such. I find that I am running into a few issues.

Writing in the 3rd person doesn't allow readers to fully connect with my main character which has it's pluses and minuses. The point of the story is that she lacks a voice is in trying to overcome that so not giving her a voice in the story seemed to make sense. I honestly find this easier in some sense to write as I am outside of my character thus giving readers a birds eye view of everything. On the other hand, because this story deals with the characters internal struggle, if I take away her perspective, it might feel like a very mute book.

What would you suggest?

2. Naomasa298

Naomasa298 HP: 10/190 Status: Confused Contributor

Well, third allows you to do certain things that first doesn't. For example, you can show your character's physical reactions from the point of view of an observer.

And you can still bring the reader close to your character. This may help you:
    https://thewritepractice.com/closer-characters/

It's your choice on how close you want the reader to be. You can still show your character's thoughts and feelings, even in third.

AASmith likes this.
  3. nippy818

nippy818 Senior Member

I agree, most communication done by people is done through body language, and third person definitely has the advantage in that regard, though it is possible to display some of the physical reactions in first person as well.