1. Lyrical

Lyrical Frumious Bandersnatch

Suggestions For Well Written Biographies?

Discussion in 'Research' started by Lyrical, Dec 27, 2016.

So there's this person I know quite well whose career in auto racing is taking off in quite a big way, and his family has approached me about writing his biography. I've read a few biographies in my lifetime, but not many. I'm willing to take on the project, but I think I should get a feel for how these things are typically structured. I want to examine good writing in this context.

I've tried searching for biographies that are well written, but I only get results for biographies about literary types. I don't want bios about writers, I want bios by great writers. Has anyone read any exceptional biographies they can recommend?

2. Laurin Kelly

Laurin Kelly Contributor Contributor

I loved Ron Chernow's Alexander Hamilton and Washington. I'm far from a history buff (though obsessed with the Hamilton musical), the way he describes people and events just made them leap off the page. And he has a quirky turn of phrase that had me chuckling out loud more than a few times.

Lyrical likes this.
  3. halisme

halisme Contributor Contributor

Fredrich Douglass's autobiography is very well written, though it is focused on his time as a slave and it is an autobiography.

4. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

5. Lyrical

Lyrical Frumious Bandersnatch

Thanks! That's exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for, people who can make biographies as entertaining and engaging as possible.

I've heard that one recommended to me before, but I'd forgotten until you mentioned it. I think I'll check it out.

Thanks, I'm definitely going to need to read some of these. I'll sift through the reviews to find out which ones are quality. I need to familiarize myself with the vernacular of the trade a bit. My dad raced in the Formula Continental series so I've been around it, but I haven't bothered to learn much of the technical aspects of racing.