1. needdabestwritingsoft

needdabestwritingsoft Banned

2018 - for those that have used lots of Free editing/typing/notes software, specifically on desktop

Discussion in 'Writing Software and Hardware' started by needdabestwritingsoft, Apr 2, 2018.

what have you used within the last year that you would suggest me?

* it has to be free

(but if it isn't, there needs to be examples of what exactly about the suggestion that is helpful is you)

- no gdocs, no word, no evernote

* has to have been updated/made better (in some good way) within the last 6 month

what am i typing/writing/editing?

anything & everything (im not able to predict the long future)

what do i currently use?

onenote (but moving away from it)

if you are familiar with, and have many suggestions

1. what would each be good for?

2. and what does it do exactly that is good for that?

also looking for something free that checks writing style

also something free that checks for conciseness of your writing

- this can be part of the software

- or a separate software, it doesnt really matter

any other absolute needs besides just free + updated?

has colors for fonts is important

- the software that doesnt have color would be for different uses

- & the software that with color would be for different uses

so the suggestion doesnt need to have color

--

free feel to reply anytime in a week a month year,

just looking for good helpful answers

please be respectful of potential good answers to these questions so as to not clutter up the thread

--

Last edited: Apr 2, 2018
  2. Ksenia Tomasheva

Ksenia Tomasheva Member

I use Grammarly to check my grammar and Hemingwayapp to check the style. Both are free, but you also can buy/subscribe.
    thesaurus.com for synonyms.
    For writing, google docs forever, as I'm used to writing everywhere: desktop, phone, tablet... besides, you can save directly to epub that works with google books.
    the big issue is that neither Grammarly works with google docs, nor Hemingway has an Android or iOS app, so I'm limited to making the final edits on PC only. that sucks, cause I prefer a tablet for writing, but much better than nothing.

LoaDyron likes this.
  3. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

all those provisos have the look of an academic exercise - if so do your own homework

If not - Open Office or Libre Office

4. needdabestwritingsoft

here, that works with gdocs -- https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/languagetool-grammar-and/oldceeleldhonbafppcapldpdifcinji

ppl say it's generally pretty good but there's always things to be made betterr, not as good for other langs ppl say

doesnt that only do a short amount of text or something? im pretty sure

5. needdabestwritingsoft

heard both open libre were basically dead inactive

no significant progress from those

anyone have good suggestions?

also dont spam my post with nonsense

read -->> "please be respectful of potential good answers to these questions so as to not clutter up the thread"

6. needdabestwritingsoft

also if you dont know the answer to something,

dont spam the post of others with nonsense

be respectful

7. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

Is this supposed to be ironic?

Sixgun and Iain Aschendale like this.
  8. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

Neither libre or open are dead - both are alive and kicking (open office 4.1.5 was released on December 31st 2017. libre office 6.0.2 was released 1/3/18 and is still in beta, the previous version 5.4.5 released on 9th of feb 2018 - this is the most current mature version)

on the other stuff -you won't get far with that attitude. Its the mods and the site rules that determine what is acceptable to post in a thread, not the thread starter

Last edited: Apr 3, 2018
    Sixgun likes this.
  9. big soft moose

The easter holiday/spring break are upon us

Sixgun and Iain Aschendale like this.
  10. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

You heard wrong about Libre Office and Open Office. And the only nonsense I see in the thread is contained in some of your replies.

Sixgun likes this.
  11. big soft moose

On the correction thing Prowriters aid is the other option - I find it better than grammarly for picking up misused words, but it doesn't understand that people don't speak perfectly correct English so it throws a lot of false positives in dialogue.

EOTD you can't beat a human proof reader but that costs $$$

Sixgun likes this.
  12. Ksenia Tomasheva

Ksenia Tomasheva Member

oh, I need to try this one as well. Misused words are something that I do a lot.
    For now, a combination of Hemingway+Grammarly has proven to give a good result for me. At least, I've shown both versions (before check and after) to a native speaker, and he said it was a great improvement, not only in terms of mistakes and typos but in terms of style and readability.
    BTW, I managed to make a good use of the advanced version options of Grammarly without buying a subscription ;) Frankly speaking, I like it more this way. A free version shows you hints on advanced issues you have in your text and amount of those of each type (like "3 Incomplete sentences", "2 Word choice", etc.). So, the trick is to put some thinking effort into finding each mistake in your text and fix it without a software thinking instead of you. Takes tons of time and sometimes you just need to use a grammar textbook or thesaurus to find a solution, but... you do learn in the process, and next time you just make a way fewer mistakes of this type. I realize that it might not work for those who need work done faster and with a fewer effort, but I'm a lazy person. It's easier to learn now and then just avoid the mistakes than correct them every time :)

Sixgun likes this.
  13. needdabestwritingsoft

just yours

14. needdabestwritingsoft

then dont put nonsense

as already said, be respectful

15. needdabestwritingsoft

-

they fit the requirements at least one of them free

but how about,

"made better (in some good way)?"

let's see --

"OpenOffice is as good as dead atm. LibreOffice, to date, as far as I can tell, mostly focused on fixing the mistakes from OpenOffice days" - https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=11563902

"OpenOffice is mostly abandoned and has had issues even marshaling the resources.." - https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=16266334

"Technically, LibreOffice is playing catchup with Win Office." - https://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/libreoffice-6-review.html

for libre at least,

tho sadly it seems to be a better release than the past, which means now i need to look into and test it

it has release notes changelog w/e you wanna call it -- https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/ReleaseNotes/6.0

so i can see what can do, this is a plus for sure

so looks like it'll need to downloaded

if not guess will have to go evernote or i dunno?

--

no real conclusive answers on any good 1) style 2) grammer good checkers existing in current day society tho,

and that's a sad thing, it's 2018 already

Last edited: Apr 4, 2018
  16. big soft moose

No nonsense in any of my posts - the only nonsense is your strange belief that two of the largest and most widely used pieces of free writing software aren't being developed.

As to being respectful you might like to consider the proverb about people who live in glass houses

Sixgun likes this.
  17. matwoolf

matwoolf Banned Contributor

Be respectful

Sixgun likes this.
  18. big soft moose

and don't put nonsense :D

Sixgun, Shenanigator and matwoolf like this.
  19. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Ok, bub, you seem to be confused as to the arrangement. The forum has a staff and you are not part of it. The above posters actually gave you information. You started the thread in a dictatorial fashion and committed the silly error of invoking the Streisand Effect, more than once. You have been posting duplicates of threads you already started. Posting duplicates of threads, that's spamming. Answering threads with verifiable information is not spamming.

You've earned my attention. Not a very auspicious start.

20. big soft moose

In terms of grammar and style checkers - there's a good article here https://firstsiteguide.com/grammar-checker-tools/ As said above Grammarly and PWA are the most widely used. apart from those I've used Ginger on work writing and its pretty good if you are using MS word ... I write my novels in Open Office, and my non fiction in scrivener so its not been much use to me on serious writing.

Gramark is an open source version of grammarly, however as i'd paid for the upgrade versions on both Grammarly and PWA I didn't bother with that.

As I said above you can't beat using a professional editor/proofreader but if you are either mean or poor a combination of Grammarly/PWA/ and a good dose of common sense about how to apply them (i.e not to try to make things so grammatically perfect that they lose character and realism) is the second best option

Sixgun likes this.
  21. TheRealStegblob

TheRealStegblob Kill All Mages Contributor

Yeah okay ignoring the Very Good Posts being made by people in here, let me give an answer;

I wouldn't recommend Open Office. It's lightweight and it works well, but it's infamously buggy and prone to all sorts of really bad problems. I myself was using it when writing my first manuscript and I ended up losing an entire draft of it when Open Office suddenly decided to turn my whole document into hashtag symbols and give me no way to recover a previous version of it. Googling the problem lead to numerous threads across the internet where people had the same random problem happen to them. Using Open Office doesn't mean you'll eventually have this issue, but why test fate when there are better alternatives?

These days, I use Google Docs. It's better than any Microsoft Word-like program and it's cloud storage so you can write where ever you want and even dynamically share your documents with other people with only a link, and they can even leave notes and edits on your stuff if you let them. It's very good and at this point I see no real reason to use anything but Google Docs.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2018
  22. big soft moose

Can you use google docs offline ? If you can't The only issue i'd have with it is that i frequently want to write in places that have no internet connection ?

(our picky friend specified no Gdocs in the OP so you can probably look forward to an ill mannered response suggesting you 'be respectful' shortly)

23. Ksenia Tomasheva

Ksenia Tomasheva Member

Sure you can, you just ned to make sure you have offline editing option turned on for the doc, and you synch online before starting to edit your doc from another device. It doesn't merge automatically and would just treat the latest edits made online as the latest edits in general (though I guess there is a possibility to merge manually from the previous changes you made)

Steerpike likes this.
  24. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

You can use Google Docs offline. I think you have to use Chrome as your browser, but it definitely works. I like the word processor pretty well, personally.

25. ThunderAngel

ThunderAngel Contributor Contributor

I've used Open Office in the past, now I use LibreOffice; either choice should have everything you need. :)