1. sophia_esteed

sophia_esteed New Member

What about a fantasy featuring crossing world, elven magic and exorcism?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by sophia_esteed, Mar 8, 2008.

This is another project I'm working on from time to time.
    It's a fantasy novel which features two different worlds, cross-world travels, an organisation of Exorcists fighting evil, and the journey of a priestess and her guardian to save a dying world.
    What do you think, is there any way a plot like this might actually work? :confused:

2. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

doesn't sound very good to me, but literally anything can work, if you can write well enough...

3. Crazy Ivan

Crazy Ivan New Member

Actually, it sounds really cool to me- but like MM said. It all depends on how it's written.

4. sophia_esteed

sophia_esteed New Member

I've written like random bits and pieces of the story.
    As I said before, I work on it from time to time, like between one exam and the other.
    I've collected enough material on the part picturing the journey of the Priestess and her Guardian to say I'm halfway through, even though that part needs polishing and I need to better define the historical background, magic system and such.
    I'm experiencing problems with the part regarding the 'other' world, actually and the way the two worlds interact.
    My idea is that the two worlds are two separate entities in the beginning, but then, at one point in time, due to a particular event happened on the 'other' world - that is the Exorcists' world, the two worlds come into contact and interact with each other.
    The two journeys, that of the Priestess and the Guardian to seal away Evil from their own world, and that of the Exorcists, who're pursuing a runaway Demon, merge into one journey whose objective is to take down the Demon once and for all.
    I'm planning to make things so that the Evil the Priestess and the Guardian are trying to seal away is the same Demon the Exorcists are pursuing, who escaped into a different world through a Dimensional Gate opened by error by a Mage who failed a Summon.
    Since the flow of time is different, while in one world (Gaia) thousands of years have passed since the arrival of the Demon, in the other world (Terra) just a few days have passed since the Demon escaped.
    Thus I've made one world like a fantasy medieval world (Gaia) and the other one like a sci-fi post-apocalyptic world (Terra).
    I was planning on playing on the differences between these two worlds to describe the behaviour of and the interaction between the characters and to shape the flow of the story in general, but it's proving very difficult to develop and control a plot like this. That is, without making it banal and superficial.

5. Phaiyle

Phaiyle New Member

I like the concept, but from experience, it can become TOO challenging. To much detail to work in. there are so many things that simply CANT be put into a novel. Its not only irrelevant but it will bore your readers. Be careful with how much you choose to use. (about the two diff. worlds mostly.) I think it would be neat. I'd be interested in reading it.

6. Etan Isar

Etan Isar Contributor Contributor

One of the major issues for me would be coming up with a suitable explanation of how characters from two different dimensions would be able to communicate with each other, unless this is some kind of alternate reality situation.