1. vVvRapture

vVvRapture New Member

Help with intro to TV pilot

Discussion in 'Genre Discussions' started by vVvRapture, Aug 2, 2012.

Sorry, don't know where else to post this, hope this is the right place.

Anyway - I'm writing a script for an hour-long TV pilot and I dreamed up and wrote up a scene that starts at the beginning of the pilot. The scene is a dialogue-free action scene starring the main character. However, when I wrote it up, I imagined it being set to a particular song and, thus, I sorta choreographed it so that it is timed to the music (certain parts of the action coincide with certain verses or the hook of the song, for example). And the only audio is that song.

Now, with that said, is it feasible for me, as a new writer, to go ahead and keep this scene, even if I pitched this pilot (which I plan to)? Is it even possible for me to pretty much take the first opening minutes to direct such a scene? Is it even possible to pull off and would anyone consider it?

I really like the idea - it's a pretty violent scene but it shows some of the skills and persona of the main character and, I don't know, how I imagined it with the song and action together works perfectly in my head. I just don't know if others will feel the same way.

Also, I have no idea how to write it in true script form. I need help with that, too.

2. Zommie

Zommie New Member

Is the entire pilot without dialogue?

I'm not sure if I would recommend this or not. I am actually a fan of telling a story through animation and body language rather than spoon feeding everything to the audience with words. (Maybe watch the movie the Triplets of Bellville or Interstella 5555 both are animated movies with little to no dialogue which mostly tell the story through images, music and pantomime. Both are brilliant by the way.)

I gather from your setting that there will eventually be dialogue though so this obviously isn't the way you were going. Keep in mind however that a pilot showcases the general theme and setting of your show while adding elements to try capture the audiences interest in the first episode. If your show is going to center mainly around action scenes with little dialogue go for it, but make sure that you have an interesting development in order to set your story apart.

3. vVvRapture

vVvRapture New Member

This scene I'm talking about is the only scene I plan to be done in this style, as in no dialogue. The rest of the pilot has dialogue. I just imagined the scene as a spectacular, off-the-wall way to open into the pilot. It'd be about 4-5 minutes and would be mainly action with some parts that are just the main character with instances of body language to show his demeanor and personality.

Plus, he really likes this song. He's sort of a fourth-wall-breaking character. Similar to Deadpool, if you're into comics.

4. Zommie

Zommie New Member

You had me at Deadpool. Yeah I don't see the problem with that at all. In fact I'm pretty sure that it is only sitcoms that start right off the bat with the dialogue. For a more action orientated show, such as the one, you're posing it is definitely acceptable to start that way, if not expected. In the end you have to go with what you're comfortable with. If you have a clear picture of this action scene and can describe it to others so that they can also see this scene then go for it by all means.

5. vVvRapture

vVvRapture New Member

Alright, thanks. Much appreciated. :)