1. Annihilation

Annihilation Active Member

Let's talk about time travel

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Annihilation, Nov 22, 2014.

Well I've noticed my last thread about the stealth blimp wasn't so popular.

So today I thought it'd be interesting to bring up a different topic: time travel.

Let's look at some theories,

The Mahabharata of ancient Hinduism is a key attachment to the topic. Lots of people claimed to have known such things about the future back in ancient times, when the Dogon tribe in Africa used to be around.

They also said the monos, which were amphibians from another planet came down to give them information of the future. Such as certain stars and planets.

But I don't study Hinduism and I'm very skeptic about the existence of such realities.

What are some theories on how to time travel?

A friend once said to me, he heard a story of a guy who zipped up his hoodie (the kind that zips up to his head, completely covering him) and kept it like that for 5 minutes, and he realized the clock that then read 8pm was now read 6pm..

Maybe, if he kept his sweater zipped up for let's say, a day, he'll reverse time by 12 hours.

But again, We never know.
    What are your thoughts?

2. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

Wait...what?

3. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

I'll discuss it yesterday. In fact, there is proof that I will in existing threads.

Well, it will be a distant yesterday. I don't recall how distant, because I haven't written those posts yet in my current timeline.

4. Annihilation

He slowly went back in time lol

5. Fitzroy Zeph

Fitzroy Zeph Contributor Contributor

Maybe he fell asleep and woke 22 hours later.

I travel through time, all of the time, usually 23 hours, 56 minutes, 4.0916 seconds sidereal per day.

6. Nilfiry

Nilfiry Senior Member

Nah, not possible to travel back and traveling forward is arguable. Science like to believe that if you move at the speed of light, you will be traveling through time, but in actuality, everything is just moving at its own pace through time You would merely be taking yourself out of your normal space-time and putting yourself into a different one. The perception is really not so different from the way a dog sees time, and the way we see time. 15 years for us is a life time for a dog, but we are already constantly traveling through time.

Maybe someone played a prank on that person and turned all the clocks back two hours.

7. Ulramar

Ulramar Contributor Contributor

Well I think that it's important to mention that gravity affects time. When the Space Shuttle comes home, I think it actually landed a minute later than it was supposed to because it was behind one minute, being in space so long under less gravity.

So, at least the kind of time travel we're talking about, more months and years, isn't really possible I think.

In the movie Interstellar apparently, on one of the planets, 7 years pass on Earth for every hour that they are on the other planet. I don't actually think that's possible because of how much gravity would be needed. They'd probably be crushed.

I saw something on a science show about a theory of passing by days by circling the event horizon of a black hole, which is awesome but isn't safe at all. So I guess this is possible.

8. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Were it possible, I would have no interest in participating. The 44 years of my life live in my memories, just where they should be. I've found when you try to revisit old haunts, they are never what you remember and it has nothing to do with the place changing and everything to do with the gilded glow memory lays to good times.

I have no wish to travel to the future. I don't like where things are going in America today and I am mournful about what is going to happen environmentally. I have a good 40, maybe 50, more years in me, which I think is enough time to start seeing some unfortunate things take place. I don't want to see too much more of that than I have to.

Okon and Fitzroy Zeph like this.
  9. Annihilation

Maybe, but later on that guy's friend did the same thing with his sweater and turned back the time by 6 hours.

Bro. I don't even...

10. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

It's not the gravity, it's the resultant high velocities relative to the reference frame.

And no, the Shuttle didn't lose an entire minute. The time dilation experienced by any manned mission to date has been miniscule. Furthermore, the shuttles travel in a low enough orbit that the strength of the gravitational field is not that much lower than surface gravity. They are, however, in free fall, which is the fine art of falling and yet continually missing the ground.

But orbital velocities are, relativistically speaking, pretty darned low, so not much time dilation. It's difficult to even measure.

11. Robert_S

Robert_S Senior Member

I'll see if I can find it and lend some ideas.

There are currently no theories on time travel.

I know nothing of this.

There are no theories. Everything is pure speculation with a big dose of fantasy.
    'Current speculations state that maybe wormholes will allow time travel, if you can muster the energy for one.

So then, you have to explain how you create a wormhole.

Your friend is on drugs.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2014
    EmotionalPassion likes this.
  12. Yelnoc

Yelnoc New Member

Of course travel back time isn't possible, but it sure makes for some fun stories. Has anyone read Eric Flint's 1632 series?

13. b3av3r

b3av3r Member

I'm fairly certain the secret to time travel is not in $10 Wal-Mart hoodies. Was this the kind of guy who enjoyed a little recreational drug use?

I think the science and research on any kind of time travel whether traveling through fractions of a second or years is so unknown it borders on fantasy. I think this is why time travel can work so well in fiction because we know all the mistakes and paradoxes that should come with time travel, but since the idea of time travel itself is so far-fetched then we accept everything else as well.

14. Chinspinner

Chinspinner Contributor Contributor

Time travel into the future is easy, you just travel at a relatively high velocity in comparison to the earth and because time passes more slowly at speed (special relativity), you will land on the earth in the future.

In terms of Interstellar, massive objects stretch space time. So if you were to sit on the surface of the sun you would see the planets whizzing around their orbits a lot faster than normal (because your time has slowed). They were close to a blackhole (which is a far more massive object than the sun) so their comparative time passed more slowly.

Here is the theory for time travel backwards (this is practically impossible). You create a wormhole, put one end on a space ship, fly the spaceship around very quickly and land back on earth in the future (as explained in the first paragraph). You can then climb through the wormhole back to the time you took off. As can be seen it is theoretically impossible to travel back to a time before time-travel was invented.

I say that but actually if you were to twist space time incredibly tightly then you might be able to travel back in time but that would just be ridiculous.

15. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

The thing that always interest me is that time travel stories never seem to address the big question: why doesn't the person attempt to stop whatever horror that happened in the world. Take Doctor Who, sure it's explained that 'time is fixed and cannot be altered', but doesn't that make the character heartless? He's basically saying, "Yeah, I could go back in time and potentially avert the Holocaust, but I won't do that. If I do, then I'm no better then The Master who wants to use time as his puppet."

I'm reminded of something said by Judas in a Christian movie I watched when I was a kid, "You have the one power to save us all, yet you refuse? That's betrayal!" If you have the power to try and avert a catastrophe, why not try?

That's why I like the theory of time travel from Dragonball Z. If you time travel, you're creating alternate universes. For example, in an alternate timeline, World War I never happened because a mysterious time traveler from the future had averted it.

16. Annihilation

17. Poziga

Poziga Contributor Contributor

I once read somewhere that time travel is actually impossible, because at some very exact moment there is a definite number of matter/molecules. So you can't travel in time because you suddenly appearing at one of those moments interrupts this amount of matter/molecules. Which, I bet, can't be good. :)

The article said something like that if I remember correctly. And this is regarding travel via "machines". Interstellar is a bit different, I guess :)

I am no physicist or anything, but it does make sense to me... o_O

Any opinions?

Last edited: Dec 4, 2014
  18. Lae

Lae Contributor Contributor

I liked looper, was a decent film about time travel.

However if the common man had access to TT, we would all be screwed, it'd be impossible to regulate and we'd have different pasts, and futures every few seconds. Who would want that?

Living forever? i'd take that! as long as i could bring along my family etc

19. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

All of this, honestly. I might zip forward 200 years or so and see if there's anything cool/anything hopeful for humanity, but then again I might not want to do that. I have no interest in seeing my future, I want to make it unfold myself.