1. Program

Program Member

Time of Day and Writing Quality

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Program, Jul 30, 2012.

Hi,

I'm just wondering if anyone else finds the writing produced during a certain time of the day is often better than what you write during other periods of the day.

Personally, I find that when it's late into the night and I'm feeling tired, it's often easier for me to write and the quality gets much better than during other times.

I'm just wondering if the time at which something is written might affect it's quality.

2. abby75

abby75 Member

I also write late at night, usually after a glass of wine or too, my writing definitely flows better then. Things I have written during the day are never as good as those I've written at night.

3. AllThingsMagical

AllThingsMagical Member

Yeah late night always seems like the best time for me. When I write during the day the words don't seem to flow as easily.

4. ithestargazer

ithestargazer Active Member

I feel that a lot of my ideas come at night when I let my mind wander...

5. Bagabon

Bagabon Banned

Thats really interesting. I always write at night, or revise what I wrote during the day at night. It always comes easier for me. Seems I'm not the only one.

6. tinyplanets

tinyplanets New Member

As I work a mixture of early shifts and late it varies. I find I am more focused in the mornings but the writing seems to flow better in the evenings. I usually have to make lots of corrections to evening writing probably due to tiredness.

7. MistKestrel

MistKestrel New Member

I tend to write after I've watched something I really like. This gets me in a creative mood, and wants me to produce my own piece of work that I can be proud of.
    It dosen't matter what time of day for me.

8. QDesjardin

QDesjardin New Member

When I have good coffee by my side - when it is late at night when no one's awake but moi, my writing flourishes. I like the solitude, it helps me concentrate better.

9. Zachary Langferd

Zachary Langferd New Member

I find more comes to me at night also. But I think it's more the solitude (as QDesjardin mentioned) than the lateness of the hour. Late at night is when the distractions are at a minimum and silence is dominate (although I do like some good music in the background myself).

10. QDesjardin

QDesjardin New Member

I think the sleep cycle contributes it somehow -- so it is partially the lateness of the hour. If I'm alone during the afternoons, I tend to feel more fatigued and wanting to have a nap.

11. EldritchDwarf

EldritchDwarf New Member

Same here. Although I've noticed that I am most cogent in the morning and late at night. Whether I write well at these times -- I'm not presently sure.

12. sunwave

sunwave Member

Interesting that so many people prefer to write in the evening or late at night. Same for me. I write best after 22:00 hours. The best days (nights) are when I'm free the next, so I can continue till 3:00 or 4:00 in the morning.

13. epicfailpig

epicfailpig New Member

Sheesh, there are a lot of night owls here. :p I prefer writing in the morning, to be honest; my stuff tends to be higher quality around that time. Writing late at night helps me with the quantity of my writing, but not necessarily the quality...

14. Siena

Siena Senior Member

Mornings definitely. Writing before doing anything else. The best writing for me happens when it's the first thing my mind focuses on after waking.

15. Ambition101

Ambition101 New Member

I'm a night person, too. I like that everyone is winding down or asleep and it's just peaceful and quiet. I sometimes put on the rainy mood site to get me into state.

16. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

I'm basically a morning person. I prefer writing in the morning. Besides, I can get quite a bit done before my roomie wakes up if I time it right, and that works out for both of us.

17. jamezb3

jamezb3 New Member

I like to write late at night, after 10 but before 3am. Caffeine, nicotine and instrumental music always get my creative juices flowing.

18. Gonissa

Gonissa New Member

I like to write at night too. Wow, it looks really common to be night writers. Writing in the morning? Nah, too groggy. I don't know about the afternoon, though. I usually don't write then.

This isn't related, but I also find I come up with ideas better when I'm not writing. Usually a non-mental activity like doing the dishes or vacuuming. Sitting in front of the computer? Inspirational struggle.

19. CodyThomas

CodyThomas New Member

In the last few weeks I've been writing WAY more then I ever have in the past and I've noticed a strange thing happening. What I write in the morning has a different feel to it then what I write at night.

I seem to write more in the morning, but what I write at night is more stylistic and controlled. At night, if I read what I wrote that morning, it seems bland. On the flip-side if in the morning I read what I wrote at night I feel like I over did it. In the morning my mind moves quicker (with the help of caffeine of course), but at night I feel more in control of what I'm writing. I can't quite tell what I like best; they both have their pros and cons. Sorry if I just confused you.

I just want to know if this phenomenon is a common occurrence. Do any of you notice the same thing with your writing? Do you prefer to write in the morning, or at night? Does any of this even make sense, or am I just nuts?

20. Luxin

Luxin New Member

I have that same occurence hapen to me. I find that in the morning I write faster and a lot more than I would at night or during the day. That s why I like the morning better because it may seem bland at all, but there is a little thing called "editing", making the story into a long beautiful masterpiece.

21. CodyThomas

CodyThomas New Member

Good to know I'm not alone. Maybe I'll save the writing for the morning, and edit at night. I will try that this weekend and see how it goes.

22. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i can and do write any time i have something to write waiting to be set down... it matters not what time of day/night it is, or where i am... and the quality of my writing doesn't change with time of day or location...

but if you notice such a difference in your writing, then of course you should pay attention to that and let it guide your working process...

23. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

If you're concerned about maintaining a consistency of tone and style, you could try this: First, begin each writing session, whether morning or night, be rereading what you wrote the previous session. That will help you recover the mood you were in at that time. Second, before writing more of your project, write a few scratch pages - pages that won't be part of your story. These can just be notes, journal entries, rants about whatever's bugging you at the time, ideas for other stories, anything. These scratch pages are just for clearing your throat, so to speak, before you sing. When you feel ready, go ahead with your day's work.