Tags:
  1. Ashen

Ashen New Member

Name Good or Bad?

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Ashen, May 13, 2020.

It's hard to tell sometimes. We should start a thread.

Post a name of one of your characters and let's vote if they're good or bad.

I'll start off:
    Commander Gottfriet (or Gottfried still deciding between the two).

Vote and post your name

2. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

Hi Ashen - I'm one of the forum moderators here, and I want to welcome you to the forum. You've started with an interesting idea ...what kinds of names work, and which ones can turn a reader off?

I think your question is a good one, but perhaps this shouldn't be put to a 'vote' as such. (That's going to get clumsy really quickly!) Just post the name of your character, and see if people react to it—and maybe add their own? Let it become a discussion, rather than a vote?

Here is another thread in this section of the forum you might find interesting, as it's closely related to your question. (I moved your thread out of General Writing, which is a catch-all category we try to discourage people from using. Stuff quickly gets buried there. Character Development is a better place to discuss characters' names.).

https://www.writingforums.org/threads/how-do-you-choose-names.132426/page-31

Meanwhile, as you're getting settled in, please do read these two links:

New Member Quick Start
    and
    Forum Rules

They will help you get oriented, and will give you an idea of how the forum works ...what we can offer, and what we expect.

If you have any questions or experience any problems, feel free to contact me via a Start a Conversation, and I'll do my best to help.

Meanwhile, have fun and take your time to get to know us, and let us get to know you.

And last but not least...

I think Commander Gottfriet (or Gottfried) is fine :) , assuming it fits with your story. And presumably this will not be a main character, otherwise we'd have a first name, as well as his rank and surname?

Cheers, Jan

3. Kalisto

Kalisto Senior Member

Not a moderator, just a poster here. And I agree with the moderators. I took one look at your thread and thought, "Nope." It's not very helpful, let me put it that way.

It begs the question of "terrible in what context?" Technically, the name "Piggy" is a terrible name, but in context to the story Lord of the Flies it works. Steven King said the name Katniss Everdean was terrible, but again, it had a specific meaning that was kind of fun for its young fans to uncover.

So it's best to consider that for a moment.