1. Arabesque

Arabesque New Member

Can never get it right

Discussion in 'Scripts and screenplays' started by Arabesque, Oct 7, 2011.

I've been writing out a script for a comic i plan to draw and have done about 150 pages or so. But every time I write a new chapter, i look back at the old ones harshly and have to basically rewrite the whole thing. I've technically been writing chapter one for about a year now.

How do you know when what you've wrote is just right? Maybe it's because I'm too close to the work to look at it objectively but I'd like to reach a point where I can just be satisfied with it.

2. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

My advice would be don't edit as you go. Whilst you're writing the first draft, focus only on moving forward as it's much, much easier to sort problems in a completed draft. The most important thing in the first draft is getting the whole thing down on paper. If you keep looking back, then you will keep spotting problems and like you say will never get off the ground.

3. AmyHolt

AmyHolt New Member

I agree with Banzai. Sometimes rereading keeps things from moving froward. I've done that (I do that). But it is way easier to sort problems when you have a complete rough draft to work with and you don't end up fixing things only to fix it again and again and...

4. Croga

Croga New Member

Don't be afraid to write badly. I got stuck writing the first line for 3 months, then I just stopped and i wrote 3 chapters in a day and had added in the description and other bits by the end of the week, now I'm just checking it out and outlining some scenes to add or problems I have noticed while waiting for feedback from chapters some people will be reading and feedback on a few pieces i posted here.

5. VM80

VM80 Contributor Contributor

Do the best you can with the first draft, but always keep pushing forward.

Then go back and make it (even) better. :)

6. Raki

Raki New Member

I agree with the keep moving forward mantra, but you may try another technique as well. When you look back and see a problem or think about it as you are moving on, don't fix it. Keep a notepad handy and just make a note about the problem. Then, continue on. If the problem is still a problem when you get to the end, then fix it.

7. Arabesque

Arabesque New Member

Thanks for the advice. I'll try carrying on from the next chapter and edit later. I might not even need to edit things that much.