Tags:
  1. jac0419

jac0419 New Member

Writing Poetry

Discussion in 'The Craft of Writing Poetry' started by jac0419, Jun 17, 2017.

Hello All,

Thank you for reading my post! I appreciate any feedback you may provide for my journey in creative writing. I have recently been inspired to write. I did a career aptitude test, and I have noticed I am not in the right field. I have been inspired and have the desire to write. I want to creatively write!

I do not want to have the constraints, or restrains of what working day in and out provides. I am want to be free-spirited and be creative. I want to expand on my day dreams. I want to be able to put them in ink, or now in word-processing software.

The only problem? I have so many great ideas but they do not always come out how they are in my head. Or I have trouble being emotional or be in a vulnerable state to where I can express myself more freely. How do you think I maybe able to do this? How can I overcome this? I understand this may come easy to others, while it maybe difficult for some.

Thanks,
    Joe

2. jac0419

jac0419 New Member

I also, want to get into script writing, other forms of creative writing.

3. Friedrich Kugelschreiber

Friedrich Kugelschreiber marshmallow Contributor

I never allow myself into an emotional or vulnerable state. That's how some people write, I suppose, but it doesn't work for me. That's not the only way to write.

4. jac0419

jac0419 New Member

How do you get into a creative mindset?

5. Friedrich Kugelschreiber

I don't think creativity and vulnerability/emotion are inextricably linked. Certainly creativity may be derived from these sources, and often is, but it can also be derived from others. By the way, I'm afraid my post might have seemed somewhat abrupt. I hope your writing flourishes.

6. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    I think it just depends on what I am writing. For something
    more intense being emotionally invested goes a long way
    into giving that extra bit of punch.

And for everything else I can step a few paces back and just
    write whatever, less involved on that level. Sometimes it is
    better to have a cool detachment from what your are writing
    some times. Just don't walk off completely or it will be a
    numbed out story with puppets being yanked about by strings,
    rather than being characters with some vivacity,

7. Friedrich Kugelschreiber

That is definitely true.

Cave Troll likes this.
  8. JLT

JLT Contributor Contributor

The simple answer: just write.

The more complicated answer: just write, and at first, don't even think of writing anything for publication. Keep a journal, and write whatever comes into your head, getting all the emotions and vulnerabilities down as authentically as you can. Do this at least three times a week. Don't even think of re-reading it. In fact, make a promise to yourself not to re-read any part of what you've written until you've gone through six months, or a hundred entries, or whatever. It will just be you and the notebook, and nobody else.

I think you'll end up surprising yourself with a new-found ability to articulate what you couldn't articulate before.