1. WhoWatchesTheWatchmen?

WhoWatchesTheWatchmen? New Member

Viva La Comic - The Revolution

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by WhoWatchesTheWatchmen?, Jul 23, 2008.

I don't know if this is a rant, but the other day I overheard a conversation between two adults at the public library ridiculing comic books. They stated that they are childish and should not be considered English Literature.

WWWAAAARRRGGGGHHHHHH!!!

I may be a child, but graphic novels are a very stylized way of telling stories, and any ignorant person could tell that they are indeed ENGLISH LITERATURE. I read V for Vendetta a few months back ( amazing, you should read it ) and I found symbolism and depictions circulating totalitarianism and facism. Wargh! I hate it when people sweep off graphic novels as child's play. They are amazing writings with artist's depictions and should be judged the same as any other novel. I just finished The Watchmen and it has themes hidden deep within the text. Who Watches The Watchmen is the book's 'tagline,' was originated by a roman poet. This phrase questions who watches those who watch, or who guards those who guard. On a bigger scale, it asks, "Who watches the Tyrants who rule?"

Sorry, but people smile when I bring up the subject of graphic novels. "They're just silly comic books!" No, they are not. They are amazing graphic stories that can tell stories just the same as a book can, just from a different viewpoint.

2. Fluxhavok

Fluxhavok Active Member

yeah, i browsed my lil' cousins collection a few times. comics these days deal with some pretty adult themes. i was hard pressed to find any that i would let my 8 year old son read.

3. WhoWatchesTheWatchmen?

Frank Miller's Sin City should not be read by any minor. Still, I love the graphic novel. The movie was oaky. Meh.

4. Gears

Gears New Member

I agree 100%. It's not just graphic novels either, most comics are amazing pieces as well. I think it gets so hated because most people who read comics are younger than 25 (most..) and older folks think it's just crap for kids.

5. Shadow Dragon

Shadow Dragon Contributor Contributor

I agree that graphic novels are just as good as other written stories. Some of them are amazing, like Watchmen, V for Vendetta and Fallon Son.

6. Speedy

Speedy Contributor Contributor

Imo Sin city has been one of the best comic to movie translations of current. Its a shame its taking so long to finish the second one off though. I just cant wait. The whole quentin tarratino in Sin City one, was a bit of a joke though, seriously.

7. WhoWatchesTheWatchmen?

I saw the trailer for the new 2009 Watchmen Movie. Zack Synder ( Director of 300, amazing movie and graphic novel ) is tackling it. Looks great.

8. Fluxhavok

Fluxhavok Active Member

yeah i saw the watchmen trailer too, that movie looks awesome... too bad i have to wait til 2009 though. Movie companies should not be allowed to advertise a movie until a month before it comes out... all this waiting for 8 months after seeing the initial tralier (dark knight) is really chapping my ass.

9. Speedy

Speedy Contributor Contributor

I must admit, i didnt know of the Watchmen, but after watching the trailer on Youtube, im sold!

10. PipeandPen

PipeandPen New Member

Neil Gaiman won the World Fantasy Award for "A Midsummer Night's Dream," an issue of The Sandman. After that, the rules were changed so that a comic(writer) couldn't win the award, making him to be the only win to win the award with a comic.

What more proof could there be?

11. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

There are comics I regularly purchase and read. The artwork and the writing vary in quality, as the creative staff changes, but there are some very talented individuals out there.

And I am definitely not part of the "under 25" crowd. :)

12. Shadow Dragon

Shadow Dragon Contributor Contributor

Its sad that they would change the rules. I think more comics would have won awards if people didn't look down on them.

13. Fluxhavok

Fluxhavok Active Member

ryan reynolds is gonna be deadpool in the upcoming wolverine movie!!! dude, i love deadpool!!! and i love ryan reynolds!!!

14. Gone Wishing

Gone Wishing New Member

It's not just the stories that deserve more credit/respect - some of the artwork, like Yo****aka Amano's, gets gallery showings and worldwide critical acclaim.

How disappointing that the rules were changed to exclude comics (as I've stated before, The Sandman has been called by some critics 'too wordy to count as a comic' - so... bleh!)