1. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

Found a great blog for future world building ideas

Discussion in 'Setting Development' started by GingerCoffee, Sep 2, 2013.

It's called "Paleofuture". I'll let people who want to, find it without a link until the rules on what's advertising get better sorted out. It's chock full of past predictions of the future from Disney's Monsanto House of the Future to Walter Cronkite's series on "The 21st Century".

One can just get ideas, which is useful in itself. But I also found this insightful jewel had broader implications for building my future world:
    There are examples of pitfalls like that in many predictions of future worlds such Marshall McLuhan's prediction of the loss of individualism when we are all connected via the Internet (he didn't call it the Net). In reality the Net has allowed a broader extension of the individual since we can find like minded people which reinforces individualism rather than making us all move toward homogeneity.

jannert and Wreybies like this.
  2. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Yeah, this is not an advertising blog. There's no money to be made here or self publication being pushed. It's informational. :)

http://www.paleofuture.com/

I love those mid fiftiess drawing of future life. So iconic. :) I can remember looking at drawing like that as a kid (mid 70's so the drawing weren't too old yet) and loving their style. I would draw and emulate every curve and line trying to get the esthetic just right.

3. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

The sexism in the predicted future worlds is an eye opener into the past. It wasn't that long ago but it seems like it.

I loved Disney's House of the Future and remember liking that fantasy more than the Swiss Family Robinson's Tree House.

4. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Of the 9 bajillions times I've been to Disney (I lived 40 min away from Disney World for years) I never once did the Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse. I'm not even sure it's there anymore... :/