1. Ommonite

Ommonite New Member

Mentor Revisited

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Ommonite, Sep 22, 2008.

I know I myself already started a similar thread, but it was a discussion as to how to make my character seem like less of as mentor.

I did that, but he now has no role for the rest of the story. He lives and fights to the end of the first book, but from there I have no plans for him.

It is sort of like answering the question What if Obi-Wan escaped the death star or What if Gandalf had not fallen and the Fellowship not broken.

My mentor was changed to a more of an Aragorn type character, he does little mentoring but by the end of Book 1 he is on trial for murder. what next for the character? (read about him in my chapter in the novels section of the review)

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

You want us to find a story for him to enter into?

If not, then I don't understand your question. If that is the question, only you can answer it.

3. Ommonite

Ommonite New Member

I guess it was a confusing question. Considering i have just scrapped most of my plans for the sequels (and extended the series to four books) I really am just rewriting the whole thing.

but I still have a good idea what most of the characters will be up too. expect for him, as I originally planned for him to die.

4. Cogito

So is there a question? If so, I'm still missing what it is.

5. Ommonite

Ommonite New Member

Me too :meh:

the short answer is that I'm bland out of ideas for one character of a cast of many. I know it it something that I have to decide for myself. But there is really no place in my story for me, and a simple suggestion would help spark my own inspiration.

6. Cogito

If he is on trial for murder, then why not let him be convicted?

If you decide to use him again, getting the conviction reversed, or getting him a pardon or parole, would be a good fist obstacle to overcome.

7. Leo

Leo New Member

so what you're asking is what role should this character take on now he's no longer the mentor?

8. Ommonite

Ommonite New Member

Well he was never really the mentor. More of an aragorn than a gandalf i always say.

I've been focusing most of my ideas on 6 main characters, but the 'mentor' is not one of them, and is pretty important for much of the first book, though I'd like to sue him further, but I'm not sure how. That is my problem there.