Tags:
  1. Teladan

Teladan Contributor Contributor

Books Subjects You're Surprised to Have Read

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by Teladan, Jun 1, 2018.

Not quite the title I wished, but I can't think of anything better. Now that I've got only one chapter left of Mary Roach's Stiff to read I realise I'll have finished 4 books on the subject of death, mortuary science and funerary rituals. The other three being Caitlin Doughty's two books From Here to Eternity and Smoke Gets in Your Eyes, and Greenberg, Solomon and Pyszczynski's The Worm at the Core. I do have an interest in anatomy and the psychology of death and I'm quite fascinated by carrion beetles and obscure death-related entomology, however I certainly didn't think I'd have read so much about American funerary traditions, e.g. laws relating to cremation and the like. I'm just surprised as I didn't think even more than two years ago I'd have read 4 books on the subject. I thought it'd be interesting to hear if you've experienced anything similar, whether it be a single book or several related books.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2018
  2. SomePenName

SomePenName Member

I was about 13 or so I when saw Lord of War with Nicholas Cage for the first time. I remember it really blowing me away that there were these individuals, not companies or governments, that were just selling weapons on a huge scale. Since then, although I've never really gone out of my way to watch that movie again and I've obviously learned about it more accurately, I've probably been reading one or two works a year on arms dealing.