1. Taxuh

Taxuh New Member

Little supernatural romance short story

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Taxuh, Aug 6, 2020.

So, the other day I was reading about in here about someone wanting to write a book in a world full of vampires and I got a flash of inspiration!

For some reason I saw a couple of girls talking about their relationship, because they're friends from childhood and they started developing feelings for one another, but then way back when one of them got turned into a vampire, you know? They were super stressed about it, but after a couple of months, they found out that new-vampire-girl could sourvive pretty well in the sun and without drinking blood for a couple of weeks at most, without deteriorating her health or phisique.

So, they made an agreement: as long as they were able to see each other regularly, normal girl would let vampire drink some of her blood every 2~ weeks. They lived their lives and could go into the same highschool and colleges within an hour-ride reach. That's pretty much where the story starts.

The idea I had was to make the story a sort of short chat between them, because vampire is kind of re-thinking this deal they've struck. As they are in their early-to-mid twenties, she's really starting to develop some supernatural abilities. Super strength and enhanced senses, maybe some light susceptibility (something very light, like annoyance or a slight bother), and she's really beginning to understand just how different they both are, and she wants to basically cut her off out of fear of hurting her (drinking too much blood, punching her lightly and breaking a bone, something like that). Then, normal friend reassures her that she wouldn't want to cut ties with her whatever happened, they realize that they still have those same strong feelings towards each other, they kiss lightly and promise to start a stronger relationship, they both happily go to sleep at the blood-drinking sleepover they had organized.

First: Does this sound good as a romance thingy? I've written stuff kind of like this before and I liked it, but I want to polish my short stories (especially the romantic ones) to one day publish somewhere. Do you all think of ways it could be better or worse or something to add/substract?

Second: I'm having some trouble with the actual moment-to-moment talking and emoting. I can't post stuff yet to the workshop, so I'd like to ask for general pointers and short romance stories like this. Something laid back, with a feeling of familiarity between the characters and a slow boil to the hard-hitting romance parts.

Third: ask me stuff about all this! I think about the stories I write all the time, but I have trouble writing them down. A list feels too stiff, phisically writing it down is slower than I can think, and digitally I just lose stuff all the time and forget to check back, so maybe I can have an easier time by answering questions anyone might have about the top-level ideas and characters.

Also, my Chrome is not in english, so I don't know if I wrote something wrong or if anything sounds weird. Let me know if you spot anything.

2. Naomasa298

Naomasa298 HP: 10/190 Status: Confused Contributor

The vampire romance is a pretty well-worn trope - it all depends on how you execute it.

Taxuh likes this.
  3. A_Jones

A_Jones Member

Trope is not a bad word. The world of literature depends on trope, and I agree with @Naomasa298, readership will depend on how it is executed.
    HOWEVER, that doesn't need to matter right now. What matters is that this was an idea that you wanted to look into. So do it. I suggest a writer never allow imposer syndrome to get in the way of a good project. Someone once told me to 'play with my words' and I have made that my motto.

Lets say you write the whole thing out and you decide you don't want to publish. Well that's GREAT! Because you grew as a writer during that whole experience.

As for your dialogue struggles the best advice is to just read, listen, and practice. Check into prompts that inspire you to write out dialogue, just for fun and practice.

Finally find friends to chat with. Give yourself a reason to explain your plot to people. There are many outlets to do this online. I personally use Discord. Facebook video chat with friends is good too!

Most of all, you got this! Don't allow yourself to overthink and second guess.

Feel free to bounce ideas off me any time, though I admit, I hate vampire romances. Sorry ><