1. RobT

RobT Active Member

WW2 - Tank radio chatter and call signs

Discussion in 'Research' started by RobT, May 13, 2011.

Hi,

I'm trying to find some information out on how tanks would communicate between themselves and what call signs they would use. I've done a bit of googling and think it's along the lines of . . .

If you had a call sign say of charlie-two-one, or charlie-two-one-actual this would refer to the first tank or platoon leader of 2nd platoon Charlie Company. Charlie-two-two would refer to the second tank of the 2nd platoon etc . . .

Can anyone advise if I've got the right or wrong end of the stick with this?

Also, I've tried to find out how a platoon leader would address and talk to the other tanks in his platoon. In more modern times it looks like the radios have a 'platoon-net', but in WW2 as far as I can see you just have the company radio net and and a local net for the crew members of the tank.

Can anyone shed any light on that at all?

Thanks in advance,
    Rob.

2. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

get some of the finest ww2 movies/scripts that feature tanks in action, to hear/see how it's done...

3. RobT

RobT Active Member

Cheers. I hadn't thought of that I'll see if I can google some up!

4. Trilby

Trilby Contributor Contributor

I'd send a letter to The Royal British Legion and ask them for the info. you need.

I'm sure they would be glad to help. With a bit of luck they may even invite you over to talk to someone about it.