1. VarriedRomance88

VarriedRomance88 New Member

Do they remind you of a particular fairy tale?

Discussion in 'Fantasy' started by VarriedRomance88, Dec 17, 2016.

Ello everyone!

So I'm going through the current threads looking for topics similar to topics I'm struggling with in my own story. I've seen people mention about fairy tales in fantasy, but not yet a thread on the topic.

So I'm writing a story for 3 couples, and I've noticed as I develop the characters that 2 of the couples especially lean towards characters popular in Cinderella and Beauty/Beast. I'm perfectly happy with this because fairy tales have always been a source of inspiration for me. But, the couple I have thought through the furthest, I haven't yet found a fairy tale that fits. I would be happy to keep them as is without a fairy tale to add to my inspiration, and I would be happy to find a story to tie in somehow.

So, I would like to throw it out to the masses. Maybe if I describe some of what I have of Ceara and Roan they will remind someone of a fairy tale I do not know or haven't' thought of.

Roan's family has always remained loyal to the Roig crown even during the war for Jason to retake his family crown, but they are royalty in their own right in another country. Raised by his grandparents this very honest man wants to protect innocent children from wars like he experienced growing up. This extroverted man is secure in his manhood to be friends with most men, and flirtatious enough to charm even the hardest of grandmamas. This romantic charmer has one dream rose he holds his love out for though, hes determined to leave behind the knighthood long enough to grab his true love and never let her go.

Ceara is forever attempting to respect her clans traditions and history, but daily she is frustrated by the ways that restrain her. Even as the first and only female non-lycan chief she is pushed towards adopting a old man stance among her clan and daily life. This healer wants to begin pushing her clan to more modern ways, and yet her over protective spirit is what is actually keeping everyone back and her from seeing she is her own obstacle. Regardless of what life she must straddle between the children of her clan, orphans and blood, will find a safe home for them to prosper in under her rule.

And for good measure here is the villain...

Fergus is a greedy man who is obsessed with his own self importance. Its the darkness playing into these tendencies that emboldens him to be more public with his hatred of King Jason and the lack of purity in the noble families of Karmuny. He believes in keeping his own inner sanctum perfect to his vision, and himself as king of all the northern domain. He will start his takeover by grabbing the wealth of Ceara's clan lands and treasures and purging the land of all those he considers "impure". Than he and his stubborn bride will cloister themselves and he will finally have all that he thinks he deserves; land, riches, a beautiful woman, and a clean population to serve him.

So does any of this remind anyone of a particular fairy tale?

2. Caveriver

Caveriver Active Member

Why not write your own, with original characters (as you've described them) and plot, but in a fairytale-esque way? This would allow you to draw from any/all stories you like, without being repetitive.

3. VarriedRomance88

VarriedRomance88 New Member

Well I am doing that to start with. I was just curious, and i did think if I had a point of reference it may make me FEEL less scattered. I'm sure regardless I will be scattered. :)